Fresh plant trailer... anything better than the ifor gh1054?

swinny

15 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Why is that?

Partly because I have one (tipper) where the axle spacing is wrong- really hard to get enough nose weight. So that clouds my judgement I guess. On the Bateson 18', the tri axle arrangement tows really well and it's possibly nice to have a larger area of supporting axles under the extra long bed. That said, I'm sure the twin axle would be just as good were the axle spacing right.

For your normal 14' or 16' Ifor type, I've never had a problem with twin axles. They are well rated for the load, much easier to reverse, can be shunted by hand by winding the jockey wheel up fairly easily too. They don't tyre scrub nearly as much. But the main thing is- the third axle is just eating into your payload!

They are a relatively recent fad, and I can't see the point personally. Not if you are running legally. Fair enough if you are shifting your 3.5t digger about, there's extra safety margin regards tyres and brakes (although even less legal due to the weight of the third axle)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Like it’s made to measure (which I’d imagine it was, as there isn’t much point of a plant trailer of this size otherwise!). 
C5FF250C-F2C8-4C2C-9FC2-D3FA8C6C0C4C.thumb.jpeg.a556c79651e87eee086011b128270712.jpeg
If the trailer is only to move a specific item of plant then a well-fitting plant trailer can’t be beaten (we have them sized correctly for tracked chippers and diggers). 
They are rubbish for other duties though. If you want something general purpose make sure you can take the sides off and have a flat-bed as a minimum requirement. 

Swap the tilty for a straight rotator and that could be a photo of my setup- right down to the decals on the Iveco tailgate! Great trailers, and as you say, simply cannot be beat for moving a 2.7t digger about on.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Like it’s made to measure (which I’d imagine it was, as there isn’t much point of a plant trailer of this size otherwise!). 
C5FF250C-F2C8-4C2C-9FC2-D3FA8C6C0C4C.thumb.jpeg.a556c79651e87eee086011b128270712.jpeg
If the trailer is only to move a specific item of plant then a well-fitting plant trailer can’t be beaten (we have them sized correctly for tracked chippers and diggers). 
They are rubbish for other duties though. If you want something general purpose make sure you can take the sides off and have a flat-bed as a minimum requirement. 

This!

I still have a 10 by 5 from my contracting days, great for anything that fits in it but hopeless for anything else as the sides get in the way for loading.

A twin axle, drop-side flat bed with ramps is the ultimate all rounder.

Son-in-law bought a new one a couple of years ago and we've had cars on it, sheep hurdles, blocks, timber, furniture, tractors, machinery, etc, etc, there really isn't anything that it's not suited to.

I bought a second hand ifor gh1054 in the end as not paying the new price nor waiting for ever. Trailers new were fine at 23-2600 plus vat not 3900 plus vat.

Sold a brian james tilt bed plant trailer as obly 2700 kg.

Still have my gx106 I bought new un good co dition but I think this is going to go so I can  buy a 12x6 dropside instead 👍 

Some very useful suggestions and input here folks, many thanks.

Seems the tilt bed is certainly worth considering. The trailer will be moving the tractor, plus various attachments as time goes by. First purchase is a winch, but looking at 6 inch PTO chipper later too. So having space would be handy. 

Busy looking for secondhand, anyone got any hot leads to a 16ft tilt bed that's in good nick but not totally mental price?! (Unlikely, I know!)