new ring

naturarbo

8 minutes ago, AHPP said:

They’re just nice. Lighter than pulleys. Nothing ever runs over a  sharp pulley cheek. The little bit of extra friction stops your rigging line shooting up to the top of the tree if you drop it. I almost always use a pulley on my main anchor and a ring on a redirect over a favourable drop zone. Having the pulley first in line probably makes lifting with the Hobbs easier but I don’t know how much it really matters. Two rings would probably work fine too. They’re a lovely sweet spot of friction for most tree things. 

Sounds good, will give them a try at the next opportunity. Like the idea of using for a redirect, thanks.

Thought of you the other week actually, had the valtra up Ettrick Valley clearing windblown from the Ettrick Water.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Can anyone that has used rigging rings tell me the pro's and con's please? We have some rattling around in the truck rigging locker but have never used them. 

There's a theoretical advantage of reduced load at the rigging point, I don't think you should be close enough to breaking the rigging point for this to be real though. Maybe it makes everything run smoother.

In my area there's a lot of small trees in small drop zones, so I carry spidersling with arboring in my climbing kit as a general light rigging device - dead easy to set, no need for bollard, easy to move around to the best position as you go. It gives the equivalent of say half a wrap of friction on a bollard, so in a removal you can rig all the branches and light wood off using it.

It's only real disadvantage is that it's hard to pull limbs back up. When the groundie pulls down it adds friction, so sometimes I end up pulling up on the up rope to help.

Maybe also rings are not midline attachable but pulleys are. I don't find this too important though.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

There's a theoretical advantage of reduced load at the rigging point, I don't think you should be close enough to breaking the rigging point for this to be real though. Maybe it makes everything run smoother.

In my area there's a lot of small trees in small drop zones, so I carry spidersling with arboring in my climbing kit as a general light rigging device - dead easy to set, no need for bollard, easy to move around to the best position as you go. It gives the equivalent of say half a wrap of friction on a bollard, so in a removal you can rig all the branches and light wood off using it.

It's only real disadvantage is that it's hard to pull limbs back up. When the groundie pulls down it adds friction, so sometimes I end up pulling up on the up rope to help.

Maybe also rings are not midline attachable but pulleys are. I don't find this too important though.

You're selling it well Dan. I can think of a lot of things done lately they would've been handy for. Surprised they give a half wrap equivalent of friction, but moving them around easily sounds great. Lots of possibilities, thanks.

0BCDDA78-EFF7-48F5-B1B9-7A36B48ADF6A.thumb.jpeg.677c45d6d9f4de8c551cafb3ec7a0f31.jpeg

Further to what Dan said about small trees, I have a cambium saver type pair of rings that I use for smaller and simpler stuff. Usually just about long enough to do a main point and a redirect point but I’ll make them a bit longer when I replace the rope on this pair. You can always wrap a branch to use up extra rope (and keep them in place). You can of course choke with them too or just use one ring and tie with the other end. Or a biner through one end and they’ll retrieve with a knotted rope. They’re also my crane tie in. Handy thing.  

Edited by AHPP
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/07/2022 at 15:18, AHPP said:

0BCDDA78-EFF7-48F5-B1B9-7A36B48ADF6A.thumb.jpeg.677c45d6d9f4de8c551cafb3ec7a0f31.jpeg

Further to what Dan said about small trees, I have a cambium saver type pair of rings that I use for smaller and simpler stuff. Usually just about long enough to do a main point and a redirect point but I’ll make them a bit longer when I replace the rope on this pair. You can always wrap a branch to use up extra rope (and keep them in place). You can of course choke with them too or just use one ring and tie with the other end. Or a biner through one end and they’ll retrieve with a knotted rope. They’re also my crane tie in. Handy thing.  

You use three strand with rigging rings as a crane tie in? I’m surprised a crane operator would be alright with that? 

On 10/07/2022 at 14:30, Doug Tait said:

You're selling it well Dan. I can think of a lot of things done lately they would've been handy for. Surprised they give a half wrap equivalent of friction, but moving them around easily sounds great. Lots of possibilities, thanks.

It is a bit of a hindrance when you have a crab for rigging mind.

they are good, I have a few but never really use them for some reason…

oh, I know the reason.  A crab on my rigging line.  🤪

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

It is a bit of a hindrance when you have a crab for rigging mind.

they are good, I have a few but never really use them for some reason…

oh, I know the reason.  A crab on my rigging line.  🤪

Keep one on the line. You can leave it with the main rigging anchor (or just use it as the main rigging anchor) or take it with the crab to redirect or span rig.

• Like 2

On 10/07/2022 at 13:00, Dan Maynard said:

Would it not be better to natural crutch rig in smaller trees?

45 minutes ago, slack ma girdle said:

I’d nearly always use some sort of pulley or ring for rigging regardless of the size of tree, if nothing else to preserve the life of my rigging line.

sure if there’s was just a couple of random limbs to rig I probably wouldn’t bother 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

True a lot of the branches you could do natural crotch, but the ring you can slap anywhere on the branch, maybe just inside the cut so as well as the rope wear argument I would take it because it's more flexible. Other times I would not natural crotch would be on conifers, or if pruning branches.

Another option because you can choke it on is go around the stem just below the top crotch and then multisaver over the crotch. Rigging lines nicely below and out of the way of climb line. Sometimes ash or pop are like this, not much to use for natural crotch.

I used to carry sling and steel biner and you can do a lot of the branches that way, but the ring is smoother and gives more friction so can cope with bigger pieces. It can also stay as top anchor if you decide that you need to get a bollard out part way through.

I really like that for one piece of gear it has loads of uses, definitely a gadget I have bought and used rather than one stuck in the kit bag.

I bought a rigging wrench recently too, which I'm hoping is the same but with additional feature that you can pull pieces back up. Only tried on one job, so far it was a bit annoying that the friction seemed a little too high and not adjustable, so I'm going to try it with 12mm rather than 12.7mm rope next time. We did pull branches up though so that part was handy.

• Like 1