Ecodesign stoves

18 minutes ago, Bolt said:

I thought that building control signed them off if the installation met the requirements of part J of the building regs?

I'm a while out of date on this and the BCO should be able to sign off a flue and stove installation  but I wonder how many are happy to do so, most BCO's will have no experience of wood burners and expect them to be installed by HETAS registered installers.

A HETAS installer has a dispensation whereby he can self certify his work in the same way an electrician  or window installer can.

There would be a charge for the BCO to certify work as with any inspection he does.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dee Knight said:

I wish I had a chimney as that looks very easy with just blocking plates and flexi flue..although the space I have for the twist lock twin flue to go is very suitable as literally goes straight through the centre of the house and through the roof with a good foot all the way round away from the pipe. It will be secured all the way up and I have a lead flashing for the roof..storm cowl etc..it will be caged with chicken wire in the loft and a grill shall cover the whole of the second floor section which is in an open cupboard in the hall...one large square hole will be cut in the top of the wall downstairs for the first section of twin wall to go through..and the stove will be well away from a fireproofed wall. I am looking into everything before people think I am tge sort to just light a fire in a house x

And the Council has given you written permission for all this have they?

55 minutes ago, Dee Knight said:

I wish I had a chimney as that looks very easy with just blocking plates and flexi flue..although the space I have for the twist lock twin flue to go is very suitable as literally goes straight through the centre of the house and through the roof with a good foot all the way round away from the pipe. It will be secured all the way up and I have a lead flashing for the roof..storm cowl etc..it will be caged with chicken wire in the loft and a grill shall cover the whole of the second floor section which is in an open cupboard in the hall...one large square hole will be cut in the top of the wall downstairs for the first section of twin wall to go through..and the stove will be well away from a fireproofed wall. I am looking into everything before people think I am tge sort to just light a fire in a house x

I must confess, I’m not certain I’ve ever installed anything quite along those lines before.

1 hour ago, Dee Knight said:

So shall I burn of bit of seasoned Hazel in it to seal the glue cement and paint or will harden on its own and the fumes etc be gone in a couple of months before its lit indoors...somewhere haha 

Do you have a patio heater?

If not, stick a length of vitreous enamel flue, load it up with hazel, and enjoy the great outdoors as the summer evenings draw in.

Not only will the paint cure, but it will not owe you anything should the chimney installation become too onerous.

🧐

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dee Knight said:

You do  know that where the flue goes through the ceilings you need to box inside the joists to protect from fire ,fit fire stops and a means of supporting the weight as you cant use the stove for support .

• Like 4

Local bco signed off my stove instal needed pictures at each stage and a couple of visits before sealing up and on testing, just lit a smoke and checked for leaks 

did this because local hetas installers wouldn’t sign off a stove they didn’t supply new 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, dumper said:

Local bco signed off my stove instal needed pictures at each stage and a couple of visits before sealing up and on testing, just lit a smoke and checked for leaks 

did this because local hetas installers wouldn’t sign off a stove they didn’t supply new 

Do you remember how much the BCO charged for the visits and signing off or was it part of a bigger building project?

Have you checked with your local stove shop if you can even have a non-eco 2022 certified stove installed now? I don't think you can, but i could be wrong. It had to happen sooner or later ;)

It might be a case if you already have one installed you can keep it. But if it's a new installation it must be "Eco 2022" certified. Before you go to too much more trouble and expense, it might be worth checking this out.

Even when it's a new certified stove you're fitting, there are serious amounts of things to check and hoops to jump through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, John Skinner said:

Have you checked with your local stove shop if you can even have a non-eco 2022 certified stove installed now? I don't think you can, but i could be wrong. It had to happen sooner or later ;)

It might be a case if you already have one installed you can keep it. But if it's a new installation it must be "Eco 2022" certified. Before you go to too much more trouble and expense, it might be worth checking this out.

Even when it's a new certified stove you're fitting, there are serious amounts of things to check and hoops to jump through.

As far as I can see the ecodesign regulations only specify a manufacturer placing something new on the market.

Whether one can get a tradesperson to fit a secondhand one and comply with building regulations is what we are discussing.