Ecodesign stoves

On 24/06/2022 at 21:47, trigger_andy said:

Regardless, the primary control is clearly identified in the manual as a way to control the burn when using wood which contradicts what you stated earlier. 

What your link says is close the primary air supply once the cooker is getting up to temperature,  after that air is then added above the fire via the secondary air supply control above the door.

A

12 hours ago, Alycidon said:

What your link says is close the primary air supply once the cooker is getting up to temperature,  after that air is then added above the fire via the secondary air supply control above the door.

A

I know that. But Esse clearly state that when burning Wood you use the Primary air Supply until the stove is up to operational temp. That’s my point, when burning wood it’s in the manual to use the Primary Air Supply. 

My Ecoburn states to keep the Primary Air supply open to get the Stove up to operating temp and then keep it either partially open or closed. 

Both manuals instruct Wood burners to utilise the Primary Air Supply. Neither of them state that you do not need nor should not use them at all. Both manufacturers see a clear benefit in their use when burning Wood.

I much appreciate using the Primary Air supply for getting the stove up to temp over keeping the door ajar. Obviously I have kept the door ajar before on countless occasions and occasionally once lit the kindling with a few logs on top can become unstable. They often shift and with a door ajar the logs can and have rolled out. Although I’ve always been in the room when this has happened I feel it’s a needless hazard and will also set the smoke detectors off in the whole house. 

I’ll stick to what the manual says over your advice, thanks all the same. :) 

Edited by trigger_andy

On 06/07/2022 at 19:04, trigger_andy said:

I know that. But Esse clearly state that when burning Wood you use the Primary air Supply until the stove is up to operational temp. That’s my point, when burning wood it’s in the manual to use the Primary Air Supply. 

My Ecoburn states to keep the Primary Air supply open to get the Stove up to operating temp and then keep it either partially open or closed. 

Both manuals instruct Wood burners to utilise the Primary Air Supply. Neither of them state that you do not need nor should not use them at all. Both manufacturers see a clear benefit in their use when burning Wood.

I much appreciate using the Primary Air supply for getting the stove up to temp over keeping the door ajar. Obviously I have kept the door ajar before on countless occasions and occasionally once lit the kindling with a few logs on top can become unstable. They often shift and with a door ajar the logs can and have rolled out. Although I’ve always been in the room when this has happened I feel it’s a needless hazard and will also set the smoke detectors off in the whole house. 

I’ll stick to what the manual says over your advice, thanks all the same. :) 

Agreed,  primary air if available is used to get the stove up to optimum operating temperature,  then closed.

A

I wondered if anyone has any advice on these? I have found online that it is a haas and sohn.. elegance 240 I think.  It has 3 baffle plates inside. I was wondering if I could fill the spaces at the sides that are hollow with tiles or brick etc to absorb the heat like a mass stove? But mainly as I'm  now ready to bring it indoors..should I test burn it outside first with the stove pipe on? To burn off the paint etc I've used? Tia

ed5cc19fad00bd9b94d85b1f96073a3b.0.jpg

11 hours ago, Dee Knight said:

I wondered if anyone has any advice on these? I have found online that it is a haas and sohn.. elegance 240 I think.  It has 3 baffle plates inside. I was wondering if I could fill the spaces at the sides that are hollow with tiles or brick etc to absorb the heat like a mass stove? But mainly as I'm  now ready to bring it indoors..should I test burn it outside first with the stove pipe on? To burn off the paint etc I've used? Tia

ed5cc19fad00bd9b94d85b1f96073a3b.0.jpg

The user manual found online is dated 2006

2 hours ago, openspaceman said:

The user manual found online is dated 2006

I have downloaded the user manual and it seems easy with 2 air controls etc. It says it burns 80% and really did only have a bit of surface rust on so will the age matter? I will get a professional to check it all after I have fitted as much I possibly can as the reason I am doing this is I will not be able to afford to heat my council house...but I do want to be safe. Any advice welcome. 

38 minutes ago, Dee Knight said:

I have downloaded the user manual and it seems easy with 2 air controls etc. It says it burns 80% and really did only have a bit of surface rust on so will the age matter? I will get a professional to check it all after I have fitted as much I possibly can as the reason I am doing this is I will not be able to afford to heat my council house...but I do want to be safe. Any advice welcome. 

1, Have you asked permission to instal a Stove in your Council House? Might be worth looking into.

2, If you’re in England you’ll need to get it professionally installed and signed off 1, to satisfy the Council and that’s if the Council even allow you to install one in the first place and 2, to keep you legal with your Home insurance. You do have home insurance right?

3, I’m not sure you’re going to get any installer to sign off on a knackered old stove that does not meet current regs. As you say you want to be safe and bodging this yourself will not come under most peoples definition of safe.

1 hour ago, Dee Knight said:

Firstly I am not qualified to install stoves or flues but I doubt the trade body would approve of anyone fitting a secondhand  pre ecodesign stove.

This does not mean I think it would be unsafe to install following the manufacturers manual nor that it couldn't be run cleanly.

It must be installed within all the requirements of the current part J of the building regulations and especially with a working carbon monoxide monnitor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

1, Have you asked permission to instal a Stove in your Council House? Might be worth looking into.

2, If you’re in England you’ll need to get it professionally installed and signed off 1, to satisfy the Council and that’s if the Council even allow you to install one in the first place and 2, to keep you legal with your Home insurance. You do have home insurance right?

3, I’m not sure you’re going to get any installer to sign off on a knackered old stove that does not meet current regs. As you say you want to be safe and bodging this yourself will not come under most peoples definition of safe.

..knackered old stove? Ah OK thanks for your help

• Like 1