Cord wood required

Pete Arnold

2 hours ago, Pete Arnold said:

I'm looking for a company who can deliver a cord of wood (typically 4 x 4 x8ft - 128 cubic feet) for me to saw into lengths, split and store / season for my wood stove.  I live in Bressingham, near Diss IP22

You might be better off trying to find a forestry firm in your area.  But they will probably want to deliver you a lorry load (26 tons), or possibly a tractor trailer load (anywhere from a couple of tons to 12 tons).  Don't expect them to deal in cords - we don't tend to use cord as a measurement in the UK.

16 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

You might be better off trying to find a forestry firm in your area.  But they will probably want to deliver you a lorry load (26 tons), or possibly a tractor trailer load (anywhere from a couple of tons to 12 tons).  Don't expect them to deal in cords - we don't tend to use cord as a measurement in the UK.

Not entirely true. Cords for measuring wood is still used and very often the fairest method. As you know there’s such a wide variation in types and length of time from falling. If someone wants small amounts the supplier isn’t going to get it weighed( not that many weigh bridges about these days either). If someone want to save a small amount of money by logging it up themselves crack on - probably kicks the woodsure scheme into touch as well🤔

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 18:08, Pete Arnold said:

I'm looking for a company who can deliver a cord of wood (typically 4 x 4 x8ft - 128 cubic feet) for me to saw into lengths, split and store / season for my wood stove.  I live in Bressingham, near Diss IP22

I'd contact your local tree surgeons as a starting point (unless you need it ASAP or must have straight lengths) as some companies generate wood that they have no use for "arb arisings".  It requires you to be flexible with what type of wood and what shapes you take (basically you get what they have) but it is cheaper than trying to get hold of what you might call processor grade wood, that is nice straight lengths of a certain diameter.

The down side will be that it is generally available when it is cut so you are less likely to be able to place a largish order as above but I certainly get that sort of quantity of wood over the period of a year from a single small local company and I'm certainly not the only place he drops logs to.

21 hours ago, devonbrion1998 said:

Cords thats interesting,I think thats a US measurement? or did we in England used it back in the day

I have been in the firewood game for 40 yrs and have only dealt with tonnage or cubic meters 

That’s funny because before the widespread use of forwarders and forwarding trailers and we extracting large timber with a winch on a county or a matador the rest of the wood was loaded by hand and extracted using a trailer behind a tractor on what was known as a cordwood trailer🤔- Southwest?

• Like 2