Taxing tractor

woody paul

13 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Licence cat F = 31tonne max combined weight of tractor and trailer with load but the trailer and load cant be any more than 18,290kgs, so where does BE and CE licence come in to it ? every one gets Cat F on there licence when they pass a standard car test,

Cat F is specific in the use of the vehicle as well as its type.

Cat F agricultural tractor. If used for other activities then cat F does not apply. Agri also includes forestry and fishery ect but not haulage, construction, boat or caravan moving ect.

For other purposes you need a licence commensurate with its weight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Justme said:

Just remember its not what they weigh that counts.

This is the perfect example of why i stated, i would not ask a question like woodypaul asked on here ? there are loads of sub catorgories under DVLA HMRC and VOSA the do not make sence at all as what one says is right the other says it isnt, i have spent most of today reading up on the use of red diesel after the 1st April and to be honest if the governing bodies cant get it right on every page there aint much hope for us, TBH i dont think any one knows, and it is far from finalised,,

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

This is the perfect example of why i stated, i would not ask a question like woodypaul asked on here ? there are loads of sub catorgories under DVLA HMRC and VOSA the do not make sence at all as what one says is right the other says it isnt, i have spent most of today reading up on the use of red diesel after the 1st April and to be honest if the governing bodies cant get it right on every page there aint much hope for us, TBH i dont think any one knows, and it is far from finalised,,

Dont start me on the red issue. Been looking re firewood processing. Hmrc dont know, guidance is mixed. Found some info that potentially says its ok and others that say not. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peasgood said:

What on earth made you think that might happen?

Beginning to think why I both to ask questions as never get a straight answer. 

Looks like there is no straight answer to this question talking on here. Been looking at more classification on road tax and have hopefully come up with the answer. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, woody paul said:

Looks like there is no straight answer to this question talking on here. Been looking at more classification on road tax and have hopefully come up with the answer. 

As Spuddog says further up, the reason you never get a straight answer for this kind of question is because nobody seems to know, and that includes DVLA and HMRC in most cases. Even if you asked DVLA and HMRC you would get several different and conflicting answers.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woody paul said:

You mean you’ve interpreted the guidance in the way that best matches what you want to hear! 🤣

Thats all anyone ever does, from guys who run a digger behind a fastrac claiming they dig farm tracks (still construction. To be agri it would need to be repair), or guys running a unimog for domestic tree surgery claiming it’s horticultural. 

it’s all fine until you get a summons or have an accident. But the longer people get away with it the more it becomes ‘right’ in their mind. 

like when I towed a trailer with no be 🤣

• Thanks 1

On 24/03/2022 at 15:26, Justme said:

CE licence

white diesel

HGV road tax

HGV mot

6 / 12 weekly checks

Possibly need

CPC

tacho

Operators licence

Want to reconsider yet?

Except! One cannot MOT, or even PSV  a tractor, not with their **hydrostatic steering(If I imagine I remember correctly) since Clive at work tried too 10 years ago, when H&S came down on us like a ton of bricks due to a fatality(due to stupidity) at another nearby Council.

It was discussed up and down and round and round, though we did swith to clear diesel. But still driving on a car licence.

**And having had 2 hydrostatic steering related failures in my 1984 DB1490, I can understand why.

The first time, many years ago, a simple circlip popped off the end of the steering ram., which caused the tractor to only steer right, and right over the white line on a busy A class road, where I was "peeling off" right right at a "Y" junction.

I continued right right over the centre line of the minor road and into the hedge across the wide grass verge, since this was the only way I could get the tractor off the public highway.

The secod tme a hose ruptured just beneath the steering wheel mounted orbital unit, but at least not on the road, but again VERY very disconcerting.

But I digress.

Edited by difflock

1 hour ago, difflock said:

**And having had 2 hydrostatic steering related failures in my 1984 DB1490, I can understand why.

The first time, many years ago, a simple circlip popped off the end of the steering ram., which caused the tractor to only steer right, and right over the white line on a busy A class road

Very similar on an IH574. Circlip fails and pin holding all the steering falls off. Straight across the road and through a garden hedge.

Luckily that day I had chosen the scenic route as I usually went along the busy A road. It really bothered me at the time, not least because a mum pushing a pram appeared very shortly after.