Removing Conifer Tree Stumps With Avant 630 Ripper

Chipperclown

The other thing that was pointed out to me by someone who used the Vermeer skid steer stump grinder attachment, it ties up the machine to a job on site whilst there are usually many other more useful things it could be doing, lifting, shifting and tidying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chipperclown said:

I may then hire the stump grinder attachment to see what its like. I have heard mixed reports however not seen it in action for real.

Can you get a 26 inch wide tracked grinder to site? Ive got a predator 38x if all else fails? Not far from you IIRC. 

Just now, Chipperclown said:

Thanks I am all good just exploring the different options and uses for the avant on this site. Sounds like the normal stump grinding approach is the way forward. 

For what its worth, I've never found anything other than dedicated stump grinders that good at grinding stumps. 

I've played with 2 different skid steers with a grinding attachement and a 3t? 360, all 3 had some pretty bad drawbacks either in flow rate limitations, visabilty to the stump or the smoothness of the slew movement on the stump 

Interested to see if you have any luck with an Avant though, please post if you do 

• Like 1

You maybe lucky, did a conifer about the same size a couple of years ago at a property that backs on to uncles farm. Tree owner wanted root out left truck about 8 foot high put land rover winch on it and pulled it over landed up with a hole 4ft deep 8ft wide, but there was about 3ft of top soil and was very light land. 

30 minutes ago, Chipperclown said:

Yep will do if it happens.

Yep the Avant winch has surprised me. When I got it recently I thought it would be okish, however it seems very powerful to me! I would reccomend it to those who maybe interested.

Remember the avant is designed to push not pull, winching with the winch attached to the head stock stresses the fixings and relies on the extension ram seals not giving up I’ve tried it never really felt safe much better to put the winch on the rear

1 minute ago, dumper said:

Remember the avant is designed to push not pull, winching with the winch attached to the head stock stresses the fixings and relies on the extension ram seals not giving up I’ve tried it never really felt safe much better to put the winch on the rear

If you’ve buried the bottom of the winch in the ground, like you’re supposed to, I don’t think that’s an issue.