What is problem here??

john87

Hi all,

I was going to comment on each point in each point individually, but i would be here all day and it would be hard to follow anyway, but the main two points..

1, Step cuts.. I did not say they were pointless, i asked why it was that some people say to do the top cut further out than the undercut, and others say to do it further in.

In amongst constructive answers, i was basically informed that i was an idiot and did not know what i was talking about..

Funnily enough, one person commented that they thought that current practice was NOT to use step cuts at all, but to do the top cut directly opposite the bottom, and this my friends, happens to be the case.

Current practice does NOT involve step cuts; The top cut goes directly opposite the bottom one..

2, I can confirm that i DO indeed decend on a figure 8 using the blakes as back up. Now this may be seen as "belt and braces" or alternatively as a "pigs ear" but i will make two points regarding this..

a, Each to his own..

b, Before laughing at me using an figure eight in conjunction with a friction hitch, best you get hold of a copy of "the tree climbers companion" by very well respected international author Jeff Jepson and have a very careful read of page 49..

I do not care if people have been climbing up trees for 50 years, that does not mean they necessarily know everything. Dare i venture that perhaps it is not just me that needs some training....

john..

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, john87 said:

i asked why it was that some people say to do the top cut further out than the undercut, and others say to do it further in.

Inboard vs outboard step cut. Covered on Chainsaw from a rope and harness course 

34 minutes ago, john87 said:

Before laughing at me using an figure eight in conjunction with a friction hitch, best you get hold of a copy of "the tree climbers companion" by very well respected international author Jeff Jepson and have a very careful read of page 49

I would suggest getting a more up to date book to read from. There are lots better, this was published in the 90s and lots of technical changes in equipment and techniques since then

9 hours ago, Tommy_B said:

Inboard vs outboard step cut. Covered on Chainsaw from a rope and harness course 

I would suggest getting a more up to date book to read from. There are lots better, this was published in the 90s and lots of technical changes in equipment and techniques since then

I have a copy somewhere . I seem to remember it contained " flush cutting " . Now considered bad practice .

1 minute ago, john87 said:

Since you all think it is such a good book, i have just bought a brand new copy of the actual book itself.. Was expensive, but all technical books are..

Think i will like it???

john

Congratulations on the purchase! The paper copies are expensive, but it will hold it's value probably. I'm not aware of anything comparable in terms of practical literature.

I have the PDF version. Love to buy the video series if it ever becomes downloadable, but don't want to pay 200 bucks for DVDs. Maybe one day...

He was a true master of the trade, who's career was ended by getting his foot crushed by the hydraulic stabilizer of a lorry, of all things.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1