Advice on condition..

Mark lanark

There's a huge rim of reaction wood around the hole so looks like it has been decaying for a long time, personally I think the best you can say is it's unpredictable so probably have to say a fell.

Would be a good test subject to measure the wood remaining and winch over to test the strength, see other thread on pull testing.

• Like 1

If the tree is still standing after the recent storms,  then it is probably fine.

Hollow tree means good bat potential.

I would be encouraging the kids to play elsewhere,  and let the tree it do its thing.

Its all about risk, driving your car every day Is about 1 in 3-400 risk of having an accident.  Being struck by a tree is greater than 1 in half a million.

2 hours ago, slack ma girdle said:

Its all about risk, driving your car every day Is about 1 in 3-400 risk of having an accident.  Being struck by a tree is greater than 1 in half a million.

Hang on now, there's different ways of looking at the potential for risk. The chances of being attacked (not even killed, just attacked) by a shark are roughly 1 in 900,000,000 globally, but that number drops considerably if you do things like swim around in shark-infested waters.

The chances of dying from falling into a crevasse on a glacier have roughly the same figures as the potential for being attacked by a shark, but again, those numbers are flipped right over if you spend a lot of time actually walking around on a glacier.

Similarly, if you spend long enough hanging out under an at-risk tree, then I'd say that 1 in half a million figure gets trimmed right down.

That said, there's a forest near me right under the mountain and exposed regularly to ferocious winds made almost entirely of hollow trees, "fairy door" trees, and trees that have blown over, decided not to die, grown up again, and blown over again, mostly ash, rowan, and oak. Beautiful place, absolutely enchanting, but not the kind of place to go on a windy day.

Keep the tree, don't let the kids play under it when it gets too breezy, and don't put a rope swing in it.

2 hours ago, peds said:

Hang on now, there's different ways of looking at the potential for risk. The chances of being attacked (not even killed, just attacked) by a shark are roughly 1 in 900,000,000 globally, but that number drops considerably if you do things like swim around in shark-infested waters.

The chances of dying from falling into a crevasse on a glacier have roughly the same figures as the potential for being attacked by a shark, but again, those numbers are flipped right over if you spend a lot of time actually walking around on a glacier.

Similarly, if you spend long enough hanging out under an at-risk tree, then I'd say that 1 in half a million figure gets trimmed right down.

That said, there's a forest near me right under the mountain and exposed regularly to ferocious winds made almost entirely of hollow trees, "fairy door" trees, and trees that have blown over, decided not to die, grown up again, and blown over again, mostly ash, rowan, and oak. Beautiful place, absolutely enchanting, but not the kind of place to go on a windy day.

Keep the tree, don't let the kids play under it when it gets too breezy, and don't put a rope swing in it.

Aye but the difference between shark/crevasse deaths and tree deaths is that unlike crevasses and sharks, trees are almost everywhere and most peple are exposed involuntarily to risk from trees regularly. If the law allows it, a  landowner can ensure tree risk free occupation by removing all trees in and near a property. So yes the odds can be reduced until you leave the property to go to work or the shops or to visit someone.

Funnily enough, I'd bet less people are killed by their own trees than by other people's trees.

I want to know if anyone's ever been attacked by a shark on a glacier.

17 hours ago, Mark lanark said:

We jut bought the place last year and have checked through most of the other trees and all look fairly safe this being the only overly rotten one, it actually stood up through all the recent storms, Sod’s law it will keel over any time now. 

what about the tree in the background of the second photo? looks like there is a bit of decay at the base( iam not saying it whether it needs felling or not)

On 07/03/2022 at 12:51, carlos said:

what about the tree in the background of the second photo? looks like there is a bit of decay at the base( iam not saying it whether it needs felling or not)

I would agree with that, looks like a major stem has already snapped off.

It might actually be a bigger risk than the tree ur concerned about, being ash pre ADB could have lasted for yonks, seen far worse stand for years

Dunno if Dieback is as far up country as lankarkshire yet? I'm only 20 odd mile below u and starting to see far more signs of it all over the place.

But being in a garden it is as well down.

By rights thou u would probably need a bat inspection on it as as someone else said likely to be prime bat habitat.

Wether u could leave it as a pole to save some bat bird nesting habitat? But more expensive to do that than fell and u will then have a protected habitat in ur garden limiting any future work to tree.

Ash can stand like that for years or decades, infact it shows how little strength the middle of the hinge gives for felling cuts, mess up the side of a hinge it could go anywhere, do wot ever u want in middle as long as sides are good and complete control