Towing with an Auto. Does anyone?

Bob_z_l

A quick question. I tow regularly with the Ranger (manual) and on the hills can use engine braking to save cooking the truck brakes.

I've driven auto cars but not really had any real weight in the load. 

How easy is this in a auto? 

Asking as I'm looking to upgrade and there are a few auto versions available. Mitsubishi and Isuzu.

Any downsides to be wary of?  Cooking the auto fluid??

Cheers

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

A quick question. I tow regularly with the Ranger (manual) and on the hills can use engine braking to save cooking the truck brakes.

Asking as I'm looking to upgrade and there are a few auto versions available. Mitsubishi and Isuzu.

Cheers

Ive often got 3-3.5t on the back of my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Never had an issue Towing with it. If on a muddy track I just drop it into 4low and crawl out. Hills have yet to be a problem in the Auto. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ive often got 3-3.5t on the back of my 2014 Grand Cherokee. Never had an issue Towing with it. If on a muddy track I just drop it into 4low and crawl out. Hills have yet to be a problem in the Auto. 

Cheers. I was more concerned with the lack of engine braking overworking the brakes. 

There aren't loads of hills round here but I do have a 15% one that can be a bit hairy when loaded.

I should specify tis is all ON- Road.

Edited by Bob_z_l

Just now, Bob_z_l said:

Cheers. I was more concerned with the lack of engine braking overworking the brakes. 

There aren't loads of hills round here but I do have a 15% one that can be a bit hairy when loaded.

I should specify tis is all ON- Road.

I can’t say I’ve noticed the brakes being over worked. The brakes on the Jeep are certainly up to the task of pulling up with 3.5t on the back, yet to notice any cooked brake smell. In three years of ownership I had to change the rear disks, shoes and pads for the first time this January. Not bad considering the work it does. 

Ive yet to feel I don’t have the control of a manual. If I wanted I could use the manual paddles but have never even considered this. 

I think modern 4x4 autos are a different breed. 

• Like 2

Had the 4 speed zf auto in my land rover for years, don't really like towing with a manual now. Just select a lower gear before a hill and still get plenty of engine braking.

A bonus is that if the trailer starts to wag at speed clicking down a gear stops the sway better than trying to brake 😉

• Like 5

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I can’t say I’ve noticed the brakes being over worked. The brakes on the Jeep are certainly up to the task of pulling up with 3.5t on the back, yet to notice any cooked brake smell. In three years of ownership I had to change the rear disks, shoes and pads for the first time this January. Not bad considering the work it does. 

Ive yet to feel I don’t have the control of a manual. If I wanted I could use the manual paddles but have never even considered this. 

I think modern 4x4 autos are a different breed. 

Thanks. This was pretty much what I was hoping. 

Thanks for the input. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Canal Navvy said:

Had the 4 speed zf auto in my land rover for years, don't really like towing with a manual now. Just select a lower gear before a hill and still get plenty of engine braking.

A bonus is that if the trailer starts to wag at speed clicking down a gear stops the sway better than trying to brake 😉

Another positive insight.   Many thanks.

But!

With properly adjusted overrun brakes, the vehicle brakes should NOT be doing any more work, feather the pedal, wait the split second for the hitch to overrun, then feel the trailer brakes kick in.

Before properly applying the vehicle brakes as necessary.

Anyway even the 30 or 40 year old MB slushbox auto had an engine braking function.

I have towed possible in excess of 3500kG with zero fuss, but not down steep grades.

But I would trust MB engineers to have it sussed if I needed to.

And towing with an auto is a dream, even though I was more than merely competent with a clutch/manual trans.

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 10

Cheers

Most modern autos can be used in semi auto fashion these days and you can hold a gear like a manual. Have a look at what trucks offer an auto box you can do that with.

Good advantage with an auto is they generally have a higher torque rating than the manual equivalent and less chance of wear and tear pulling away / clutch slipping etc etc.

I know of one chap with the old style Isuzu rodeo auto that tows a digger everyday on auto
He was at 215k miles at that time with nothing but oil and filter changes to the auto box. Impressive.

If I was changing my hilux now which I’m not but if I did I’d certainly get auto next time.

• Like 4

I've done a lot of towing over the years, both plant and agricultural up to 15-16t, using my own vehicles and other peoples.

To be honest, I find no matter what you're in, from a Jeep up to 150 odd hp tractor, when towing big loads I find engine braking to be of almost negligible benefit compared to the trailers own brakes.

I suspect you might not notice much difference. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1