New HT131 pole saw?

Haironyourchest

The bearings are the weak points but I think the weakness is really the owners running them till death rather than greasing them up once in a while. They have their little foibles but once you have fixed a couple, they are pretty simple and save a lot of time and trouble doing smaller tree work. Not sure anyone round here likes fixing them though.

Have to say mine have been bloody good.
Keep on top of the valve clearances and I’ve found them reliable.
Daily greasing on hedge cutter heads in the trimming season has kept them sweet.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, spudulike said:

The bearings are the weak points but I think the weakness is really the owners running them till death rather than greasing them up once in a while. They have their little foibles but once you have fixed a couple, they are pretty simple and save a lot of time and trouble doing smaller tree work. Not sure anyone round here likes fixing them though.

How do you grease the bearings, Spud? And what type of grease?

3 hours ago, adw said:

If they are anything like the Husqvarna tubes and shafts then they are sintered bronze and should be oiled and not greased, 

Interesting. Didn't know the Huskies were bronze. Having pulled a 131 shaft apart I can guarantee the Stihl bearings are a mixture regular sealed bearings and a kind of open race bearing. It was a few years ago and I don't remember if I attempted to grease them or not, it if I deemed it possible at the time. Wish I had kept the old shaft now, so I could check.

The new makita 18vx2 pole saw looks decent. (esp if you already have the batteries)

1.4kw motor on boost so is powerful, reckon it would equal the 131

Downside is lower runtimes v petrol maybe long time durability?

Makita Power Tools. The preferred brand of power tool to the trade

They also have a new 40v one also.

2 hours ago, Stere said:

The new makita 18vx2 pole saw looks decent. (esp if you already have the batteries)

1.4kw motor on boost so is powerful, reckon it would equal the 131

Downside is lower runtimes v petrol maybe long time durability?

They also have a new 40v one also.

If it’s the same motor as the 36v top hander, it would be a powerful polesaw.

would really like to try the 40v

20 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

How do you grease the bearings, Spud? And what type of grease?

The bearings are a bit weird, some sort of plastic outside slider carrier and a roller bearing sitting in it. These must slide in to the tube in the correct way.

I usually stick some HT Lithium or molybdenum disulphide grease on the bearings and then add a bit of engine oil down the pipe on reassembly. Most of this type of kit suffers from the bearings going dry and rusting then the bearings grenade and the whole lot fails.

I reckon you could stuff the tube with a bit of anchor butter and it would last better than no lube whatsoever.

I tend to do my own thing and all I know is when they come back a year later....generally the bearings are in good shape compared to how they were when I changed them.

Same with hedge trimmer attachments - no grease verses anything gloopy and lubricating - these are all slow moving bearings so anything is better than nothing.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

The bearings are a bit weird, some sort of plastic outside slider carrier and a roller bearing sitting in it. These must slide in to the tube in the correct way.

I usually stick some HT Lithium or molybdenum disulphide grease on the bearings and then add a bit of engine oil down the pipe on reassembly. Most of this type of kit suffers from the bearings going dry and rusting then the bearings grenade and the whole lot fails.

I reckon you could stuff the tube with a bit of anchor butter and it would last better than no lube whatsoever.

I tend to do my own thing and all I know is when they come back a year later....generally the bearings are in good shape compared to how they were when I changed them.

Same with hedge trimmer attachments - no grease verses anything gloopy and lubricating - these are all slow moving bearings so anything is better than nothing.

Cheers, the first shaft got bent I think, second one the bearings rusted. Current shaft is fairly new. I'll try and grease them.