60 Days with the Gypsies (New Series)

topchippyles

Here, in France, every commune of 5000 residents must build a travellers site.

Here in Liffré the site is close to a bus route, easy walk to commerces and adjacent to regular housing.

It is spacious and well cared for.

Not sandwiched between a rail line, sewage works and auto-route.

The caravans of those 'registered' for an itinerant lifestyle, are financed by the government.

Seriously, financed with zero interest loans and grants up to 100%

I always know when a kid from the travelling community is placed in my sons class as he brings words and phrases home. 

The last one was bizzare, a belief that eating soup would turn him Arabic.

Something the Manouche particularly detest is homosexuality.

I'm not sure if this was the reason for appointing an obviously gay guy to the post of site guardian.

He was our boss when we had the grounds care contract.

He was a tall, imposing chap who told us to never take our eyes off our kit, keep the vehicules locked and don't take any shit from the residents.

Even so, the police municipal would often drive slowly past just to keep an eye on matters when we were working there.

One day, the site was empty.

There had been a serious interfamily fracas and the Gendarmes had cleared the site the night before.

Glass everywhere...

5 minutes ago, danthemanwhocan said:

Racists!

Wait until the fcukers rob you see if you feel the same Musch. There a site a few miles from me and i know most of them. Good and bad but the bad ones are really bad and will have the sugar out of your tea. 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Tell us what you know about it

The traveling scum that turn up here in the west highlands each summer are filth and leave their shite [ literally ] everywhere. they just camp up in a beauty spot do as much damage as possible while stealing anything they can before they're moved on.....

But you already know this👍

• Like 3