60 Days with the Gypsies (New Series)

topchippyles

1 hour ago, Haironyourchest said:

In Ireland the news is always moaning about how they're living in squalid condition, rats, etc, and how there should be more funding or whatever.... Its like presupposes they're handicapped or something and can't do site hygiene. Why are there rats? Nobody seems to ask this. Everyone else seems to be able to live without attracting rat infestations.

In the programme they mentioned more than once that they were very clean and it was part of thier culture. 

Next minute the guy says "oh, there are some shits on the floor. Not sure if it dogs or the kids have been caught out"

Hard to say they're a clean bunch when there is a bloke with his strimmer trousers round his ankles, crimping off a loaf onto the window of an L200 imo

• Like 2

3 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

The camp in Bury-st Ed's was the same, every plot had its own brick built shower/toilet and washing up room, they wrecked it in no time, stole the copper, striped the tiles off the roofs, that's what happens when it's an open gate camp. There are two more camps up the road in Mildenhall that have a gypsy 'landlord' that live on site and they are spotless, why all councils didn't put a 'landlord' on their camps is beyond. I hasten to say there isn't a camp in B-St-Ed's anymore.

Any anti-gypsy talk is always met with ‘They/we aren’t all bad but we all get tarred with the same brush/there’s good and bad in all elements of society’ blah blah blah.

Why does any provision for this particular group get destroyed if not strictly overseen?
Outsiders doing the robbing? (I personally doubt it).

A small element of scumbags within the society ruining it for everyone else? (If so why don’t the non-criminal majority ostracise them and kick them out?). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, monkeybusiness said:

Any anti-gypsy talk is always met with ‘They/we aren’t all bad but we all get tarred with the same brush/there’s good and bad in all elements of society’ blah blah blah.

Why does any provision for this particular group get destroyed if not strictly overseen?
Outsiders doing the robbing? (I personally doubt it).

A small element of scumbags within the society ruining it for everyone else? (If so why don’t the non-criminal majority ostracise them and kick them out?). 

Yes, and I've always said on here there are many over the years that I wouldn't trust even if I could see them.

Many years ago I was on a camp owned by gypsies, not a gypsy camp, it was a holiday campsite. One day I get home from work when the old boy who owned the camp came knocking, 

"Simon, "Youve got a key to Davids (his son) yard haven't you"

"yes, Brian"

"Show Freddie where it is so he can park that digger up there, her indoors is going mad about it being on the camp". 

Off we go, and he parks the trailer/digger up, all sorted?

Next day David rings me, " have you seen Freddie"

"no mate, only just got in"

"could you go up the yard and let the police in, that fecking digger is nicked and has tracker on it, oh and tell Freddie if he's there when I get back tomorrow tell him he's in for a hiding"

They were two cousins, one taking the piss out of the others generosity.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rac man said:

I had to go to one gypsy site to do a lockout on a transit keys on seat just didn't seem right but kept the van locked all the time

You've only been into one?

I have 1 in my cell, go into in every so often. When i was at the AA before i went into a few as well. Some are ok, some are not ok and some i flat out refused to go in. Van always locked, my own stuff and phones safely hidden away, etc

Had a job once where a recovery driver pulled a Transit Connect off the M25. Asked the driver about where they took it, they were very cagey about it all. Knowing the road they said they dropped it (Lye Lane in St Albans) i was certain they'd screwed me and dumped it home in the pikey site. Turned out i was wrong, and it was in a "naturist reserve" on the same road.

• Haha 2

59 minutes ago, Tommy_B said:

In the programme they mentioned more than once that they were very clean and it was part of thier culture. 

Next minute the guy says "oh, there are some shits on the floor. Not sure if it dogs or the kids have been caught out"

Hard to say they're a clean bunch when there is a bloke with his strimmer trousers round his ankles, crimping off a loaf onto the window of an L200 imo

How'd he get up to the window? Can't quite visualize it. Surely the shit must've been put there with the aid of a spade, or stick or something?

Edited by Haironyourchest

2 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

How'd he get up to the window? Can't quite visualize it. Surely the shit must've been put there with the aid of a spade, or stick or something?

Squat on the roof with your arse over the windscreen?

Try it and let us know. This is important market research.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Once upon a time, my business partner won the council groundscare contract for the local gypsy camp just outside of town.

Every visit resulted in anecdote material.

It seemed totally surreal at times.

These people were so very foreign to me.

Once, I was strimming the ditch which surrounded the sites hardstanding as an obstacle to prevent them occupying the grassed areas.

Disgusting, not a metre or two from their caravans, this was their toilet. 

We had to wait until the Summer when the camp was empty before trying to strim again.

They would also shit in the grassed areas screened by bushes, then place obstacles on the shit that we had to remove before mowing or strimming.

• Like 1