Energy costs

eggsarascal

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I'm not at all familiar with where you are discussing but we have plenty of residential roads where cars park on the footway either side of the road here and completely block it for pedestrians. In such circumstances where there is little pedestrian traffic it makes more sense to be to do away with sidewalks, allow parking on either side and give pedestrians priority on the road which then is often only 12ft wide.

Poundbury - 

EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stere said:

<p>A town with no people is not a town, but a deathly museum.</p>

An interesting read. 

Not sure ‘objectivity’ is a prime driver - hell, it’s pretty obvious it isn’t 😂

Haters gonna hate to use modern vernacular. 

The hate severely detracts from any constructive criticism that might exist and made it very difficult to read (take seriously.)

At least in the context of this discussion it is the comparison between projects like Poundbury and ‘standard’ development sites which we are discussing in response to J’s stance that all UK housing / development is shite. 

Whilst HRH talks a good game on sustainability, environment, society, history etc etc, what about the 🐘 nobody wants to talk about....

What actually needs to be addressed is why do we need ever more houses rather than making better use of what we have and avoiding the constant demand for more. 

The Western world seems obsessed with a perpetual ‘growth’ model which - of itself - is a fundamentally flawed concept. Doesn’t matter how ‘environmentally friendly’ a development claims to be - it cannot be as ‘environmentally friendly’ as NOT doing it in the first place....

• Like 7

Had the first company call back from the ones I’ve looked at for the battery storage upgrade for solar PV today. 

Haven’t looked at the quotes in detail yet - happy to post them up to see if anyone has any comment - but the first thing that struck me on pricing schedule was VAT @ 20%. 

Id have thought I’d be 5% for renewables. I haven’t checked yet but if the first one to send prospective details has got the VAT wrong I guess they’ll be going straight in the bin. 

Any thoughts from the massiv?

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Any thoughts from the massiv?

I had 5% on my invoice.

BTW I see 48V 5kWh lithium phosphate server rack batteries with Battery Management System inbuilt can be had for $1700 in USA which could be interesting for a DC system using the current grid tied inverter. My 52V 6kWh battery and dedicated inverter was £3.4k but will have more inherent conversion losses, I chose this route to take advantage of cheap off peak electricity in winter  but that hasn't been available.

Making use of battery stored solar energy has achieve one whole day without imports so far and even today the battery is sitting 33% charged which will halve the bill.

Edited by openspaceman

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I see 48V 5kWh lithium phosphate server rack batteries with Battery Management System inbuilt can be had for $1700 in USA

You can get two of these for £1700, and you can connect them in series to give 48V 4.8KW

Shop around and you will find deals with a bit more off them.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Ultramax 24v 100Ah SMART LITHIUM PHOSPHATE LiFePO4 Battery With Bluetooth Communication Function for Leisure...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I had 5% on my invoice.

BTW I see 48V 5kWh lithium phosphate server rack batteries with Battery Management System inbuilt can be had for $1700 in USA which could be interesting for a DC system using the current grid tied inverter. My 52V 6kWh battery and dedicated inverter was £3.4k but will have more inherent conversion losses, I chose this route to take advantage of cheap off peak electricity in winter  but that hasn't been available.

Making use of battery stored solar energy has achieve one whole day without imports so far and even today the battery is sitting 33% charged which will halve the bill.

It seems that battery back up installed as part of the original PV fit would attract 5% VAT but when retrofitted to an existing PV array is 20% - that’s some pretty classic disjointed tax policy. 🤨

Im not naturally techy minded and it’s been 10 years since I got all excited and informed before installing the PV - I’ve had considerable skill / knowledge fade since then hence much of your post above is outside my understanding - I need to get myself back up to speed!

Extract of the first quote so far attached below. Needless to say, I think this one may be missing an essential piece of kit from his toolbox...  

The price for 3 x 2.4 Kw Pylon Tech batteries with a Victron 5000GX charge controller would be £5439.00 Plus 20% VAT.
I have attached data sheets for the products. The battery is the US2000C model.

129368A0-3C1C-46C7-8C4B-38F49777A555.jpeg

7 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

It seems that battery back up installed as part of the original PV fit would attract 5% VAT but when retrofitted to an existing PV array is 20%

I'm glad no one told the firm that retro fitted mine that.

While I might be tempted to add battery capacity overall the integrated package with 7 year warranty   is probably worth the extra few hundred to me.

• Like 1

I've not read most of this thread, but just got word of what our new electricity prices will be from April:

"Your Economy 7 electricity rates will change from 24.968p to 31.705p per kWh for your day rate and 12.530p to 19.266p per kWh for your night rate. Your standing charge per day will change from 27.48p to 50.14p."

32p kwh, yikes!! :ahhhhh:

Edited by scbk