Dropped kerb planning rejected due to RPA

Gajendra

10 minutes ago, petercb said:

Out of Interest I googled Sutton's policy on trees

f) Trees – Highway trees will not be removed to allow a vehicle crossover. If there is conflict with an established street tree on the public highway, a vehicle crossing cannot be constructed within the root protection area (RPA) of the tree in accordance with British Standards (currently BS 5837:2012). As a guide, for a tree with a single stem, the RPA is calculated as 12 times the stem diameter, measured at a height of 1.5m above the ground level as shown in Figures 9 and 9a, below. (This does not apply to trees on private land). Additionally, no crossover will be permitted within a distance of 1metre from the trunk of a tree. Note that if the assessing officer has concerns about conflict with the presence of roots within 300mm of the ground surface of a tree, roadside shrubbery, or planter, an inspection trench may need to be dug to investigate further. This will be at the applicant’s expense and is non-refundable.

Thanks Peter, that is what they said on the email but there was nothing mentioned about inspection trench. Sounds like I will have to speak to someone from council isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Thats all very well and good - but loads of dropped crossings near base of tree here, one with the tree left in place after, and white lined 🙄 will try n dig pic out. K

Thanks Khriss, it is really annoying that every house on this that has a tree in front of their house has a driveway and because previous owner who lived in this property for over 50 years decided he did not wanted to have a drive we couldn't have one now :(

8 minutes ago, Gajendra said:

Thanks Khriss, it is really annoying that every house on this that has a tree in front of their house has a driveway and because previous owner who lived in this property for over 50 years decided he did not wanted to have a drive we couldn't have one now :(

Speak to yr TO,  is what yr paying yr tax for, Sutton aint short of money. K

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Will C said:

Tree officer, every council will have one.

Thank you 😊 

8 minutes ago, dan blocker said:

Try and get a site meeting with him. They’ll probably fob you off saying they’re too busy but be persistent(whilst polite🤓) most are decent people.

Wonderful thanks Dan I will try and book an appointment with him/her tomorrow.

“Rules” are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools. 

This looks like an example of a well intentioned ‘rule’ with the aim of protecting street trees - admirable, but it is being rigidly implemented without really understanding the how and the why. 

If there is currently a metalled road, a curb, a metalled footway and whatever passes for front garden at the moment, all of that (except the road perhaps) could actually be improved in regard to rooting environment. It’s all doable - at your expense if you can just get past the first tier of administrative barrier. 

If you can talk to the right people at LA, the key elements to draw out would be improving the current rooting environment. 

Loads of example / detail here and these guys will help scope you out a solution:

Cellweb®TRP is the only guaranteed, no dig, cellular confinement system specifically designed and sold for tree...

Ask about possible engineering solutions.
Also ask if anyone at the council can answer how much more pollution is caused by traffic slowing and speeding back up to pass your car parked on the road in comparison to a (possibly but probably not) slightly smaller root area allowing you to park off the road?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

“Rules” are for the guidance of wise men and the blind obedience of fools. 

This looks like an example of a well intentioned ‘rule’ with the aim of protecting street trees - admirable, but it is being rigidly implemented without really understanding the how and the why. 

If there is currently a metalled road, a curb, a metalled footway and whatever passes for front garden at the moment, all of that (except the road perhaps) could actually be improved in regard to rooting environment. It’s all doable - at your expense if you can just get past the first tier of administrative barrier. 

If you can talk to the right people at LA, the key elements to draw out would be improving the current rooting environment. 

Loads of example / detail here and these guys will help scope you out a solution:

Cellweb®TRP is the only guaranteed, no dig, cellular confinement system specifically designed and sold for tree...

Thanks Kevin, this is interesting and yes like you said getting over the first tier of administrative barrier probably going to be really challenging work. 

20 minutes ago, Will C said:

Ask about possible engineering solutions.
Also ask if anyone at the council can answer how much more pollution is caused by traffic slowing and speeding back up to pass your car parked on the road in comparison to a (possibly but probably not) slightly smaller root area allowing you to park off the road?

Thanks Will, council have only provided me with an email address to complain if I am not happy with their decision. I don't know who I need to speak to in-order for me to put my view across. I think I am going to try and book an appointment with tree officer tomorrow and see what happens. Thanks

• Like 1