Woodburner...

john87

Hi All,

Ok, it seems that everyone and his brother, have, or want a "woodburner" Now, i have this house that i am refurbishing. i have two large fire places about 43" wide and 40" high. Not very deep though at about 14"

Why would i want to buy two "woodburners" instead of me lining the brickwork with steel plate [on the back especially] maybe firebrick on the sides, and just making a large open grate arrangement??

Is this a possiblity or am i missing something, little knowledge a dangerous thing and all that!!!

john..

Hi All,

Ok, it seems that everyone and his brother, have, or want a "woodburner" Now, i have this house that i am refurbishing. i have two large fire places about 43" wide and 40" high. Not very deep though at about 14"

Why would i want to buy two "woodburners" instead of me lining the brickwork with steel plate [on the back especially] maybe firebrick on the sides, and just making a large open grate arrangement??

Is this a possiblity or am i missing something, little knowledge a dangerous thing and all that!!!

john..

Need to take the fireplaces back to the builders entrance if that’s possible.

Open fires are just crap. Efficiency is incredibly low, spits sparks drafty, no way to control the burn, no stored energy/heat once it goes out.

You’re certainly missing something. 🤣
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

Need to take the fireplaces back to the builders entrance if that’s possible.

Open fires are just crap. Efficiency is incredibly low, spits sparks drafty, no way to control the burn, no stored energy/heat once it goes out.

You’re certainly missing something. 🤣

Yes, i have done that, originally [many years ago] there were two small ordinary fireplaces that had been bricked up, now i am back to the builders opening as you say, but what to put in it...

I know people think open fires are crap, but they used to warm your whole house as the flue all warms up inside. Had a chimney fire once, flue warmed up then ok!!

john..

9 minutes ago, john87 said:

Yes, i have done that, originally [many years ago] there were two small ordinary fireplaces that had been bricked up, now i am back to the builders opening as you say, but what to put in it...

I know people think open fires are crap, but they used to warm your whole house as the flue all warms up inside. Had a chimney fire once, flue warmed up then ok!!

john..

We had open fires all through my childhood. I certainly dont remember them keeping the whole house warm. Far from it and there was hell if you left the livingroom door open. 

The efficiency is so low that you’ll be refuelling far more often for far less heat into the room. 

You’ll also have a gaping hole in your room letting in the cold constantly.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

We had open fires all through my childhood. I certainly dont remember them keeping the whole house warm. Far from it and there was hell if you left the livingroom door open. 

The efficiency is so low that you’ll be refuelling far more often for far less heat into the room. 

You’ll also have a gaping hole in your room letting in the cold constantly.

I can remember getting up as a 5 year old, that cold that the nets had frozen to the glass and going and chopping wood amd lighting the fire.. Used to take about hour and a half to get warm.. Had the luxury of a gas poker mind!!

john..

• Like 1

Just now, john87 said:

I can remember getting up as a 5 year old, that cold that the nets had frozen to the glass and going and chopping wood amd lighting the fire.. Used to take about hour and a half to get warm.. Had the luxury of a gas poker mind!!

john..

We where the same. Toilet bowl frozen over through the winter. 

If you want an open fire knock yourself out. I’ve yet to see a positive for one over a stove. Unless you’ve so much timber you need to get through you’re actually looking forward gobbling it all up needlessly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

We where the same. Toilet bowl frozen over through the winter. 

If you want an open fire knock yourself out. I’ve yet to see a positive for one over a stove. Unless you’ve so much timber you need to get through you’re actually looking forward gobbling it all up needlessly. 

Apparently as from next year it will be illegal to sell coal.. The world truly has gone completely insane..

john..

• Like 1

No question that woodburners are more efficient. 

Some years ago a saw a study from some listed houses in Scotland on the efficiency of an open fires.

Cant remember all the detail but in some of the homes that had central heating as well the open fire had a negative effect on the overall temp of the building. The draw of the open fire literally sucked the heat out of the rest of the building and pushed it out up the chimney. 

• Like 6