Advice on renault master fault.

muttley9050

So I bought a renault master on a whim because it was cheap. Been looking for low loader with side doors to convert to a camper for a while. Bought this one with a known fault. Bit of a punt but if I end up replacing the engine I'll still be quids in.

It's done 210k miles. One owner. Pretty clean body wise.

It starts and drives lovely. The engine purrs.

However when you start driving it and get a bit of speed up your getting excess smoke.

When you stop and check it out its clearly oil. When you rev it hard at a standstill it's spitting oil out.

I've had the sump off, oil pump off, all looks good.

I'm leaning towards the oil seal on the turbo. And so are others i have spoken to. Turbo looks original or very old at least so likely its getting worn.

Looks easy enough to change but costs £450 so wanted to throw it to the combined wisdom of arbtalk for more opinions.

Other options I guess are valve seals, a sticky ring. But if it was these it would be smoking all the time i think.

Anyway opinions appreciated please.

Cheers

James

Screenshot_20211211-164555_eBay.jpeg

I have one of those with the 2.5. It smoked a bit. I put about ten bottles of redex through it and drove it hard. It doesn’t smoke now.
Not hugely technical I know but hopefully helpful. Good van. Would have another.

Buy an oil filter housing cap with a hex moulded into it btw. Same price as the stupid 18 sided tool you need to take the factory one off (I used jubilee clips and a hammer until I found the replacement cap for sale).

Have you checked if you can just replace the turbo cassette? Also are you sure the crankcase is not pressurising from worn rings?
Don't think you can. Nothing comes up when I search it..
That's my other thought. Sticky or worn rings. Much easier to change the turbo than strip the engine though.

I have one of those with the 2.5. It smoked a bit. I put about ten bottles of redex through it and drove it hard. It doesn’t smoke now.
Not hugely technical I know but hopefully helpful. Good van. Would have another.

Buy an oil filter housing cap with a hex moulded into it btw. Same price as the stupid 18 sided tool you need to take the factory one off (I used jubilee clips and a hammer until I found the replacement cap for sale).
Mine has a hex on already thankfully.
Did think about chucking a load of redex in there if it was a ring. But smoke is too bad when driving hard to do that.
If it was a ring it would smoke all the time wouldn't it?