Hiab outrigger leg kills pedestrian

scbk

This sad accident happened back in 2019, when I saw the photo of the lorry at the time, I did wonder if that was the case

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Pedestrian Chloe Morrison, 26, was struck by a lorry in the Highlands on Friday afternoon.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Nursery teacher Chloe Morrison was allegedly struck by an unsecured part of the lorry.

_109412796_rtca82drumnadrochitlorryvsped

Edited by scbk

• 1 year later...

Just to update this old thread:

The driver got 100hrs community service and 12mth driving ban.

There was cctv footage, the guy fuelled up 75 miles before the accident, and the warning light was on to show the leg wasn't secure.

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

A driver convicted of causing Chloe Morrison's death was ordered to carry out 100 hours' unpaid work.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, waterbuoy said:

Strike's me that life is cheap based on that judgement

It is. They can only die once. No care costs etc. Try paralysing a 37-year-old hedge fund manager with six dependents or bilaterally blinding a wildlife photographer at National Geographic. That's the expensive stuff. 

• Like 1

There is also the need to disconnect the perhaps non-serious, or unintended, or trival even, nature of the causation, from the possibly very highly unlikely outcome, like a fatality.

Life is, I suppose, a bit of a lottery.

P.S.

Am I correct that in respect of causing a death with a motor vehicle, whether charged with careless or reckless driving, that jail is basically a foregone conclusion, but crippling someone or leaving them in a wheelchair does not attract the same mandatory jail sentence? 

But surely not securing an outrigger is neither trivial nor non-serious - as this case sadly demonstrates? 

An outrigger which is not secured is either going to take out a vehicle coming in the other direction or, in this case, something or someone on the nearside?  That is (IMHO) not 'very unlikely' but instead closer to 'probable'.

So far as your PS is concerned then this case suggests that isn't so.

• Like 1