Jump to content
  • 0
alankearn

Is it safe to to remove these leylandii

Question

These  leyllandii (in the photo below) were planted 15 to 20 years before the patio wall was built and the trunks of the tree are 3 to 4 inches from back of the wall.

I am thinking of cutting these trees behind the wall down at ground level and leaving the remaider of the tree and roots in the ground.

I am wondering if in time  when the stub and roots rot  will the foundations and wall become unstable

Click on link below

Thanks

 

 

TREE 2 (2).JPG

Edited by alankearn
I AM AN IDIOT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Probably more likely to become unstable if you leave them in.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, alankearn said:

These  leyllandii (in the photo below) were planted 15 to 20 years before the patio wall was built and the trunks of the tree are 3 to 4 inches from back of the wall.

I am thinking of cutting these trees behind the wall down at ground level and leaving the remaider of the tree and roots in the ground.

I am wondering if in time  when the stub and roots rot  will the foundations and wall become unstable

Click on link below

Thanks

 

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POSTING PLEASE DELETE THIS ONE

TREE 2 (2).JPG

 

I think you'd probably be ok to take down as they're quite small and I'd expect the roots not to rot that quickly giving you time to monitor and possibly under pin if required.... imo

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

Kill them now, they are babies.

 

I can't see that quote ever being misconstrued! 😄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Well, let me put it like this.. You leave them, and in 20 years it will be the house that is unstable, never mind a little wall.. Cut them down and be done with it..

 

john..

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
23 hours ago, john87 said:

Well, let me put it like this.. You leave them, and in 20 years it will be the house that is unstable, never mind a little wall.. Cut them down and be done with it..

 

john..

Not if they are clipped several times a year.

 

 I remember many years ago I was asked to remove a large Laylandii, it was over 65ft tall and the trunk was about 2ft in diameter. It was the last tree in a hedge. The hedge was about 8ft tall, 2ft deep and the sides were like the felt on a billiard table. The guy cut it several times a year. The trunks on the hedge were about 4 or 5 inches. He had planted it 25+ years ago and had decided to leave the last tree un-clipped, just to see how it would do.

 Nothing wrong with Laylandii as a hedge, just need to be properly maintained.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
26 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Not if they are clipped several times a year.

 

 I remember many years ago I was asked to remove a large Laylandii, it was over 65ft tall and the trunk was about 2ft in diameter. It was the last tree in a hedge. The hedge was about 8ft tall, 2ft deep and the sides were like the felt on a billiard table. The guy cut it several times a year. The trunks on the hedge were about 4 or 5 inches. He had planted it 25+ years ago and had decided to leave the last tree un-clipped, just to see how it would do.

 Nothing wrong with Laylandii as a hedge, just need to be properly maintained.

Problem is though, as i expect you professional arborists will see all the time, is people set out with good intentions.. They plant the things and then trim them a few times.. Next thing they mean to, but not now, next week i will do it. Next week never comes, and before long the things are getting too big for them with their step ladders and electric hedgetrimmer. Then they sort of give up as they think it will be hugely expensive to get someone in to take them down..

 

Next thing, they are 65 feet tall as you say.

 

Before long i have to remove 5 silver birch trees.. Some idiot planted them alongside a path 7 feet from a building, thinking they were "little shrubs" no doubt, but then just left them..

 

Now the things are about 35 feet tall, [and more] and have caused the building to subside, along with terrible damp problems caused by blocked gutters etc..

 

Do you think that mostly this is caused by muppets that have no idea what they are planting?? [the sort of idiot that lives in a tower block and buys a greyhound]

 

john..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  •  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.