Truck mount chipper

Will C

3 hours ago, scraggs said:

I had thought of building something like this to hire out with operator several years ago.
The idea was to have the chipper on a turntable then blow into a trailer towed by the chipper truck.

A chap in Germany did that with a QuadChip. I'll find a picture......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, scraggs said:

I had thought of building something like this to hire out with operator several years ago.
The idea was to have the chipper on a turntable then blow into a trailer towed by the chipper truck.

The turntable idea is a good one, you could be onto something there🤔👍

Ive no interest in offering a chipping service tho, the thought of badly stacked brash full of soil, stones, fence posts with nails, pallets, bags of dog eggs etc just makes me cringe! We have all seen the piles of crap that you know your going to be asked “can you just stick that through your machine?”

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Will C said:

I reckon the infeed height would do your back in if it was on a defender, on a lower truck would be better. you would have a better legal payload with a 3.5t trailer than any 3.5t truck 👍

Modern air ride suspension kit fitted to a defender may make it doable to bring high down when in work. 

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 22:17, scraggs said:

In theory it is a great idea. There is a QuadChip somewhere with exactly this setup. For those jobs where you leave the wood chip on the ground you don't need to be towing and if you're blowing into a tipper trailer you can load a good 2.5T of chip!

Mounting the chipper low enough is the biggest hurdle.

Defenders lend themselves to pto run equipment because they direct drive the pto off the end of the gearbox, no issues with transmitting the power. The winton type prop interrupters or gearbox side plate pto`s are only rated at about 40hp max and dont take kindly to the sort of stress a chipper would throw at it, ok for compressors/generators.

Bob

• Like 1