Making Firewood pay.

Hodge

I think you guys are right, this fire wood bubble is going to burst!!

The stove guys tell people fire wood if free or very cheap, its not!! it expensive, time consuming and dirty!!!

I would not want to heat my home with indoor log burners, far too much work and mess.

I have an out door boiler, burning wood I get for free.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I agree, despite having an indoor wood heating system. However I was able to install 2 large 0.6/7mcube log stores within the walls of the house.(the walls are over 3 feet thick), there is a door on the outside and another on the inside, each store is right next to each fire. You fill up from the outside and take from inside, so minimal mess and by lucky co-incidence the stores last a week so I refill each weekend. I remember before I built them we had dust and bark all over the place not to mention the woodlice and other beasties which inevitably come off the logs.

On another note I'm planning to fit a multifuel stove/boiler into my terraced house with loads of room at the back to store wood...

I'm talking with a few systems manufacturers about linking it in with the combi boiler I have so I can still use gas for heating when I'm not there or don't need to fire the stove up. But come winter when it's colder I can get the stove going and it'll heat my whole house too :D

I have a plot approximately 10m x 6m behind the house over a "shared driveway" that's pretty secure with limited access...

The plan was to get a workshop built this year with storage space to the rear for firewood in a covered bay...

I can get propane pretty cheap too, so an additional idea was to put a high pressure system in to the house so I can resort to it if I didn't want to pay the extortionate bills to the gas company...

A problem i have had is that certain people buy a log burner because they look really warm and homely in the shop, man tells them "easy to use,cheap to run" etc. They pay a couple of grand to buy and fit. Then they realise that the only heating they have had is gas & electric. Never lit a fire in their lives and blame the logs for not being bone dry.

Which model? Toyed with the idea, don't they take much larger pieces of timber? How d'ya find it? :001_huh:

I have had a Ruffle boiler for 6 years, its been great, but it has started to leak.

I've just bought a Farm 2000 of ebay, which I will be fitting over the summer.

They are great!!, mine takes any thing I can lift (the fire box is 4' by 6') and will burn green wood (but your better using seasoned, as you will use much less and not need filling as often).

I'm plumbing my new one so it will heat my above ground pool over the summer, when I don't need the house heating as much.

I really don't buy this price bubble theory - a bubble is formed by a huge escalation in price. I would describe the price rise of firewood as being very moderate mainly due to input costs. Lets face it we are not businessman and we don't operate in perfect market. How many of us right now have run out of dry product. In a perfect market as supply dwindles and demand increases the price goes through the roof - that's a bubble. This doesn't happen does it - we maintain price but only supply valued customers and then in the end compromise quality by selling poor product.

I really don't believe that firewood sales are going to slump any time soon. The numpties who have put in stoves with little or no thought do not make up the market - if they dropped out it wouldn't make a lot of differance.

My two pennies

w