Making Firewood pay.

Hodge

This doesn't happen does it - we maintain price but only supply valued customers and then in the end compromise quality by selling poor product.

There are some of us that stop selling when we run out of seasoned. I for one would never sell part or unseasoned when my supply has runs out, I just make sure I have plenty in hand :biggrin:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A problem i have had is that certain people buy a log burner because they look really warm and homely in the shop, man tells them "easy to use,cheap to run" etc. They pay a couple of grand to buy and fit. Then they realise that the only heating they have had is gas & electric. Never lit a fire in their lives and blame the logs for not being bone dry.

Spot on, if customer needs bone dry logs why dont they stock up in march. Because, they feel the log merchant should spend £15,000 on cord wood so they can keep their money in the bank and buy last minute. Its going to be very difficult to supply them in the future. I buy as much cord now that I can afford and want to take a risk on. If the market crashes or is over supplied or storms push the trees over in october you could get stuck with it.

people dont think like that, i get them ringing up asking for logs NOW because we are down to the last log and NEED THEM NOW. its a joke, look at the french, i know we slag em off but they know about firewood, most houses have a log store fully stocked all the time.

There are some of us that stop selling when we run out of seasoned. I for one would never sell part or unseasoned when my supply has runs out, I just make sure I have plenty in hand :biggrin:

Ditto Dean my barn was full of seasoned logs i am nearly out and that is that untill next year i am out now felling and getting it in.

I had a customer phone last night who said my logs were the best he has had but just one complaint they were to dry:lol:there is no pleasing them:001_smile:

phone rang today down to last few logs and could not wait a day for delivery so I said I would try and get out this afternoon. He said he would ring round for a better price:confused1:

There are some knobs about, had the same phone call on Friday and bloke was horrified he had to wait 48hrs till Sunday. I told him he was lucky he weren't ordering heating oil as there would be no way they would deliver on a Sunday. If it weren't for the fact its my first yr of firewood and i'm trying to establish a customer base, I wouldn't of been so polite!!