Chinese Processor £1500??

Billhook

11 hours ago, Justme said:

From memory.

Right hand clamp log. Left hand up to cut so high he can only just reach to so low he has to twist. Then move left hand down left to split followed by move right hand to right needing a move right to bring log in. Plus last two or three cuts you have to manually move log. Trust me after 15 tonnes in a day you will be stuffed.

As I said better than a saw and axe / splitter but for a processor its a weak design.

However its cheap as chips and thats all that seems to matter these days.

I am an old git, same age as Stubby who is not a git, and I can work the Palax all day with a home made log deck which has no power and boat trailer rollers to move the logs by hand sideways to the saw.  The cut is so easy and quick just by leaning  forward on the hinged table

i have stopped using the auto trigger for the splitter and prefer a light foot pedal for more control if the log does not fall correctly 

I agree with you about the stretching up and pulling down, and I think the powered trough is unnecessary 

This guy is much slower than me! But you can see clearly the speed of the circular saw versus the chainsaw which adds up during a long working day

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I am an old git, same age as Stubby who is not a git, and I can work the Palax all day with a home made log deck which has no power and boat trailer rollers to move the logs by hand sideways to the saw.  The cut is so easy and quick just by leaning  forward on the hinged table

i have stopped using the auto trigger for the splitter and prefer a light foot pedal for more control if the log does not fall correctly 

I agree with you about the stretching up and pulling down, and I think the powered trough is unnecessary 

This guy is much slower than me! But you can see clearly the speed of the circular saw versus the chainsaw which adds up during a long working day

We are gits 😁

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

i had a rocking pto driven saw similar in action to that but with a stand alone splitter.

Thats why i wanted a processor as it got tiring moving 10foot, 9foot4" etc etc till it was gone then repeat.

In the past I have put 20 cube a day through a older woodland mills version of this with 2 people and a basic log deck (just a bench at the same height as the infeed) they are simple and basic machines with little to go wrong. 

It’s not a big processor comparing it with one is like comparing a greenmech cs100 and a lorry mounted biomass chipper, completely different animals for completely different markets. It is what it is - simple and effective for relatively small quantities of firewood.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hawthornheavyhorses said:

I've actually been running one of these for a couple of years.  We have a very small firewood operation, only about 4-8 cube per week on average.  I much prefer it to crosscutting and splitting with a normal splitter which I still do with large stuff.

I have both 4 and 6 way knives and it's great for 5-12 inch stuff.  Whilst it's not ergonomically perfect, it's less physically demanding than swinging a saw about all day, uses less fuel and saves on wear and tear to saws too.

Yes it's a bit of a faff to use, and it's not the fastest, but the reason I went for it is:

1.  It's small so doesn't need much storage space and I can move it around the yard on my own

2.  It's self powered - I have no tractor to run a pto

3.  It's really simple basic engineering.  Bars/Chains/Sprockets are dead cheap.  Both RSL Engineering and Rock machinery can supply parts if needed.

It works for me, I can see us upgrading in future, but for now it does the job!

You have just been selected by popular vote as the guinea pig to report back to Arbtalk  on your experience with this machine!"

All Right Trigger Andy, we will let you off having to be a guinea pig as HHH has vindicated the machine somewhat!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:
I have other toys to buy first. Want the new Rock Stump Grinder first. 

That surprises me. You got a lot of your own to do or are you going to go contracting?

I have dropped a lot of trees on my property and have spent maybe 10 days grinding them out with a Rayco Junior. It’s a cracking machine but I made a deal to swap a days milling for 2 days hire if the machine. I set this deal up when I first got the Bandsaw and needed to learn “on the job”. Now I’ve got hang of things I feel the exchange is heavily in the Rayco owners favour. Anyway, I still have 20 x 20” dbh stumps and another 20 x 6-12” stumps to grind out. That’s a weeks work with the Rayco. (I think) 6 days = 3 days Bandsaw work = £1300 I could have earned. That’s well on the way to 60% of the Stump Grinder and I’ve a bunch more to fell after that lot. So just makes sense to me to buy my own.