£15/hour

eggsarascal

I live in a fully mutual housing co-op on18 acres of land.

Pay £1 for a share. Live here fully mutually. Low expenses designed to cover bills m maintenance /land projects etc.

No planners to fight although I see that coming at some point in my life.[emoji6]

I’d discerned from your posting over the years that you live a different domestic life to many. Hugely interested to read more. The various conveniences and economies of scale must be excellent; always the correct person/vehicle/tool available for the correct job, always space to store a bulk buy or a good buy, drains like council tax and utility standing charges spread out. I wouldn’t imagine the lifestyle hampers capitalist opportunity in the slightest either? The opposite even. You could easily own a house (let) or any other asset elsewhere in the same way that you work elsewhere. Many would regard that as better business than the house in which you live being your biggest “asset.”

• Like 5

Really really good to see such a large house still being used as a dwelling, rather than a profit motivated development "opportunity'.

The "management" of the "expectations"  (or how one would motivate them to make any meaningful contribution!) of some of those who would be keen to be part of such a community would interest me though.

• Like 2

Really really good to see such a large house still being used as a dwelling, rather than a profit motivated development "opportunity'.
The "management" of the "expectations"  (or how one would motivate them to make any meaningful contribution!) of some of those who would be keen to be part of such a community would interest me though.
You make assumptions too. None of us are lazy, unwashed or hippies.
  • Haha 1

I’d discerned from your posting over the years that you live a different domestic life to many. Hugely interested to read more. The various conveniences and economies of scale must be excellent; always the correct person/vehicle/tool available for the correct job, always space to store a bulk buy or a good buy, drains like council tax and utility standing charges spread out. I wouldn’t imagine the lifestyle hampers capitalist opportunity in the slightest either? The opposite even. You could easily own a house (let) or any other asset elsewhere in the same way that you work elsewhere. Many would regard that as better business than the house in which you live being your biggest “asset.”

You make better assumptions than others.
  • Haha 1

I dont relate everything to money, although I can see why it seems that way. I could work way more days off-shore than I do if I wanted. I could double my yearly wage by going from 80-100 days a year to 180. But I want a balance of home life and to be able to provide my family with a comfortable lifestyle and if I can do that by working just over a quarter of a year then I'll do that and not chase the money. 

If you're having to give two days a week labour to the commune then of course Im going to consider the earning potential you're giving up in the belief you're getting 'low rent'. 

You've still not explained what this £1 buy-in is you mentioned? 

I did explain it. I said it was a legality. You can't legally give shares away.

Earning potential comes down to how much you want to earn. Id rather spend time growing veg and rearing animals etc to be more sustainable, than I would working for the man and buying these things.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
58 minutes ago, difflock said:

You make assumptions too. None of us are lazy, unwashed or hippies.

Now, I never said or even suggested that!

I did ask how you prevented such a likely, (and purely driven by human nature), occurance though.

cheers

m

• Like 1

Don’t get bogged down in Andy’s perceptions and comparisons with his personal ideal. 

Whilst not for me either, I am genuinely interested in hearing more about the set up and organisation of your scenario. 

Make for an interesting thread in its own right IMHO
I appreciate it isn't for everybody. I like it. Lived here a long time.
Andy is narrow minded in alot of his postings so shouldn't expect any difference here.
  • Haha 1

Just now, muttley9050 said:

I did explain it. I said it was a legality. You can't legally give shares away.
Earning potential comes down to hold much you want to earn. Id rather spend time growing veg and rearing animals etc to be more sustainable, than I would working for the man and buying these things.

What does that share mean in reality? Certainly nothing you can cash in. When you eventually leave you’ll leave empty handed. 

Out of interest what happens to someone when their usefulness is over? Or too old or too frail/disabled? Do they get a free pass or do they get expelled from the commune?

I too rather spend time growing veg than working for the man. I’ve Polytunnels, veg patches, soft fruit patches, front and back porches devoted to citrus. I have time for all this since I only work 80-120 days a year, “working for the man”. I assume you pay tax and NI in the U.K.? If so at the end of the day you’re working for the man. 

Id like to rear animals right enough, one day maybe. Just now I enjoy holidays to much to be tied down like that. I can have 20 acres of land for a nominal fee if I wanted. Couple days milling a year. 

Now, I never said or even suggested that!
I did ask how you prevented such a likely, (and purely driven by human nature), occurance though.
cheers
m
Because we don't let people become members who aren't suited to the lifestyle.
Nobody is counting the hours you do. There is no one to count. Only us. We're all in the same boat. All trying to earn a living/run a business etc. We enjoy helping the people we live with. Providing quality food. Teaching others the skills you have etc.
Some weeks I do very little. Others I do. loads. The other week I did four days straight logging to fill the shed(pics. Saw logs lined up by my mates botek while he was here too.). I may work 6 days straight on a job to get it done. Its very flexible,. 20210907_163103.jpeg20210907_163039.jpeg
  • Like 4