£15/hour

eggsarascal

26 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I find this a bit insulting Saul.

You’re 3 years older than me and I was offered a 30 year mortgage, so your age is not an issue.

I picked Berries, Daffies, Bulbs and Tatties as a kid because we where flat broke. I’ve never had a penny given to me. I stared out on £40 a week and I had to pay £20 of that in rent to my mum.

After my first apprenticeship I had to start a second as there was no jobs as a mechanic.

I’ve worked my arse off my whole life to afford anything and have had zero help. To be able to afford a house again after losing everything in the last crash I’ve had to make a lot of personal sacrifices.

I have been there as well Andy, been married got divorced, paid her out on the house and then put a 25k extension on the back, didnt borrow for the extension just worked my arse off and saved to do it, but i tried and was successful, and my argument is if you dont try you wont know.

i just think some people are shit scared of making the phone call to try and arrange a mortgage, my take on that is nothing ventured nothing gained, they can only say no, 

I took a chance making a phone call about 10 yr ago regarding some firewood left behind on a harvesting contract, that phone call was the best phone call i have ever made it netted me 10s thousands of pounds of work that i have made some good money off and its still going on, i am in negotions at present to purchase upwards of 500 tonne of good Larch from a site that has very poor access, timber will be track side ready to load and move and its cheaper than yours, so happy days, going to buy a mill but dont tell Rough !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Big J said:

Yes, Devon. Prices have gone up around 20% in the past 18 months. We were close to buying a house in Autumn 2019, but winter 19/20 almost crippled us with the crashing log price and hideous weather (6.5 months of almost continuous rain). Then covid to top it off.

We moved here primarily for family reasons. We have a lot of family in the area, which is of course lovely, but nothing else about the move has really worked for us. The timber market is incredibly unstable, the weather is generally awful (we've had about 5 inches of rain on site in the past 6 days with another 2 inches to come in the next 48 hours) and the infrastructure for work is a tricky. Beyond that, the actual quality of life is pretty poor. I was up at my mums today in Derbyshire. I don't often go back due to time constraints, but on a long walk I was really struck by the profusion of footpaths and rights of way, the feeling of space within villages and houses are far more affordable there, being about 20-30% cheaper than Devon. 

I have two young children and a starter home would be entirely inadequate. I've put my money into my business and as such missed the boat on a first time buyers house. I've made some good financial decisions and some poor ones too. Not everyone has the clarity of vision aged 20 to buy their first house, or even the capacity to do so. Entry to the housing market shouldn't be predicated by either being in the right place at the right time, or having family wealth. 

weather wise your lucky we have had some what more than 5" of rain in the last wk going off my bucket outside we are more like 8-9" here, one of my first real interests in a property was in 84 at the ripe old age of 19, the property was on the outskirts of Lochmaben so it would not of been far from where you did your ticket for Logbullet with Dave Blakie, it wasnt 1 house but 2 sold as one lot, it was originally 1 house but had been made into 2, 1 2 bed and a 1 bed, there was about 4 acres with it and it was sealed bids to a solicetors in Locherbie, it was addvertised as offers over 20k, i listened to my mum n dad to much back then and backed out, but i do regret that desission to this day, We all think different and we all make F - - K ups but none of us are perfect, and if some one does think he is perfect i will bet he is in his mid late 50s, has a Audi TT convertable, wears a pink t shirt, Rayban sunglasses that he has had since he was 18, wears flip flops and shorts all year round but has shares in Deep heat due to having rumatizam !!   

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling

Don’t live round your way if you want to get a foot hold on the ladder then? 🤷‍♂️

If someone in your neck of the woods wants to get in then they need to move away, buy a £100,000 fixer-upper, do it up and flip it. Rinse and repeat. If they’re still desperate to move back they’ll be in a position to eventually.
No thanks. Im good. I live here. So do my kids, family, friends etc. No desire to leave any, particularly my kids behind.
I have no desire to get on the ladder and already done the fixer upper a couple of times.
You seem to be under the impression that we should all fall in line. Move somewhere cheaper. Take our part in the system like a sheep until our desire is defeated. Im good for that thanks.
  • Like 2

only input i really have on this is i have to say not all landlords are Ba****ds

i inherited a house a few years ago that i had already put quite a lot of money into to upgrade for mother on basis made life more comfy,  spent a lot of money doing a refit to put on rental market as i am super lucky and live in a rent free tied house with job. 

i havent raised rent a penny in 3 years had tenants, and dont plan to as they are super tenants so worth weight in gold!

they are relaxed folks who dont ask for much in terms of repairs, despite me fixing every single tiny lil thing i spot wrong to keep place at nice standard - ok i would love to re tar drive but thats just money i dont have and wont go into debt for it.

an example is recently they got somebody in to treat a wasp nest in shed and paid for it themselves, only found out when speaking to them to say roofer was coming round to clean gutters and check roofs, and he found a nest that needed to go away to re point a bit - first thing i did was say send me receipt/bill and i will send you money same day.   

So some landlords can be genuine and gives folks a bit of security in sense that monthly house costs dont rise.   i understand some are needing taken out and shot too!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, muttley9050 said:

No thanks. Im good. I live here. So do my kids, family, friends etc. No desire to leave any, particularly my kids behind.
I have no desire to get on the ladder and already done the fixer upper a couple of times.
You seem to be under the impression that we should all fall in line. Move somewhere cheaper. Take our part in the system like a sheep until our desire is defeated. Im good for that thanks.

I was not referring to you personally since you’ve already made it clear you prefer paying off your landlords mortgage. 

I was referring to someone who did actually wish to get on the ladder in an area they are priced out of. 

If you think by renting you’re not falling in line then more power ya. We all fall in line, some by getting a mortgage, so by paying off their landlords mortgage. Either way you’re not sticking it to “the man”. Let’s see you not pay tax since you don’t wanna fall in line and see how long that lasts. You’re as much in line as anyone else. 

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I have been there as well Andy, been married got divorced, paid her out on the house and then put a 25k extension on the back, didnt borrow for the extension just worked my arse off and saved to do it, but i tried and was successful, and my argument is if you dont try you wont know.

i just think some people are shit scared of making the phone call to try and arrange a mortgage, my take on that is nothing ventured nothing gained, they can only say no, 

I took a chance making a phone call about 10 yr ago regarding some firewood left behind on a harvesting contract, that phone call was the best phone call i have ever made it netted me 10s thousands of pounds of work that i have made some good money off and its still going on, i am in negotions at present to purchase upwards of 500 tonne of good Larch from a site that has very poor access, timber will be track side ready to load and move and its cheaper than yours, so happy days, going to buy a mill but dont tell Rough !!

Good man! 

Im feeling the rise in the price of timber now. :( Had to pay £45 a ton for 6m lengths of Spruce! 🤣

The amount of hoops I had to jump through to get my mortgage this time was insane, all stemming from being paid in Kroner. Only one bank would offer a mortgage based on the Kroner and that was stress tested to death. It was an 24 month roller coaster ride that eventually paid off. We rented the house we bought for over 4 years before we where in a position to buy it. But we had the offer from the landlord accepted after 1 year of renting. To know we could buy the place, but not knowing if the bank would accept us was very stressful as was trying to sell a house in Stavanger for 3 years during the peak of the oil crash. I ended up selling at the same price I bought the house for but lost the £30,000 deposit and the £100,000 I pumped into renovations. Instead of waking away with a £100,000 profit that the estate agent expected the house to sell for we walked away with a few suitcases each. So then I had to work my Arse off again to get the cash together not just to get the deposit in Scotland but fully furnish the house we where renting (bought) here. 

All worked out in the end though.

5C6C401A-1F87-4782-8F8E-ED91D7598124.jpeg

Edited by trigger_andy
  • Like 4

I was not referring to you personally since you’ve already made it clear you prefer paying off your landlords mortgage. 

I was referring to someone who did actually wish to get on the ladder in an area they are priced out of. 

If you think by renting you’re not falling in line then more power ya. We all fall in line, some by getting a mortgage, so by paying off their landlords mortgage. Either way you’re not sticking it to “the man”. Let’s see you not pay tax since you don’t wanna fall in line and see how long that lasts. You’re as much in line as anyone else. 
I don't have a landlord so I'm certainly not paying his mortgage.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:
14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Read more  

I don't have a landlord so I'm certainly not paying his mortgage.

Ok. :) 

Sounds like a very unusual lifestyle. No mortgage, not a home owner and no landlord. If it works for you it works for you and that’s great, it’s certainly not for everyone. 

So what is your living arrangements? I’m certainly curious now.

18 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Ok. :) 

Sounds like a very unusual lifestyle. No mortgage, not a home owner and no landlord. If it works for you it works for you and that’s great, it’s certainly not for everyone. 

So what is your living arrangements? I’m certainly curious now.

Buy a plot between a few of you, fight planning for years.

Not that I know, just guessing.

• Like 1