Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

• 1 month later...

This is in a Scats country store type shop, so obviously going to be a bit pricey.

But took my breath away a bit.

Told the wife that she’s very lucky to have a husband who has free, dry firewood aplenty.

She said there has to be some advantages to living with me, which is fair comment.

F584834C-35AC-47B6-88E3-9857882887F0.png

27 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

This is in a Scats country store type shop, so obviously going to be a bit pricey.

But took my breath away a bit.

Told the wife that she’s very lucky to have a husband who has free, dry firewood aplenty.

She said there has to be some advantages to living with me, which is fair comment.

F584834C-35AC-47B6-88E3-9857882887F0.png

So that's about 130 quid for 1.5 cube of quite tightly packed beech and oak? That seems cheaper than over here I'd say. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

The small bags of kiln dried Baltic stuff we see over here in Lidl work out at over £400 a cube if you're daft enough  to buy your wood from them

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

So that’s about right? Jeepers!

I'd say so Mick yes.  Most suppliers seem to deliver in builders bags filled loose - so you'd notionally expect a loose metre cube.  In reality many bags are slightly smaller giving you a bit less than that.

Price does vary- cheapest around £80 but as much as 130 round here.  I've seen kiln dried stuff delivered via online places as high as 150.

So actually 1.5 cube of tight packed hardwood now seems good value!

But like you I have an endless (almost) supply of my own and only sell if someone asks me for some and I can be bothered.

1 hour ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

I'd say so Mick yes.  Most suppliers seem to deliver in builders bags filled loose - so you'd notionally expect a loose metre cube.  In reality many bags are slightly smaller giving you a bit less than that.

Price does vary- cheapest around £80 but as much as 130 round here.  I've seen kiln dried stuff delivered via online places as high as 150.

So actually 1.5 cube of tight packed hardwood now seems good value!

But like you I have an endless (almost) supply of my own and only sell if someone asks me for some and I can be bothered.

Builders bags are more like 0.5 0.6m3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justme said:

Thats were we come in :) 

Haha. Well yes but I still do some contract processing as well which is partly why I never get around to cutting my own.

Mind you as things are I will be out of log game next year as I cant get my hands on timber. Normally cutting for next year now 

• Like 1