Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

On 05/03/2022 at 20:20, renewablejohn said:

Gone but not dead.  It all got very nasty but this seems to have risen from the ashes. Camelot-Forum.co.uk  Its a shame the history was lost but at least there is still a discussion forum with a lot of familiar faces.

Thanks for the link. Do you know of any other similar fora?

I want to install a hydro-turbine as I have access to a stream with a good flow (it used to have water mills on it decades ago). I'd like to start off with something small (500w) to see if it would be worth investing in something larger. Although I can find turbines for sale I'd like some guidance on what to go for, some of the turbines I've seen for sale don't fill me with confidence they'll work or last long.

11 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

I want to install a hydro-turbine as I have access to a stream with a good flow (it used to have water mills on it decades ago). I'd like to start off with something small (500w) to see if it would be worth investing in something larger. Although I can find turbines for sale I'd like some guidance on what to go for, some of the turbines I've seen for sale don't fill me with confidence they'll work or last long.

Kris Harbour gets a lot o mentions and he is going into business making micro turbines

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Kris Harbour gets a lot o mentions and he is going into business making micro turbines

Yes, I've seen some of his videos although I'm more after an off-the-peg solution. When I first started looking I naively thought someone like CAT would sell or recommend a tried and tested range of turbines. For that matter it would seem more logical if the government did just hand over grants but could offer advice and some tried and tested solutions for people.

56 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Yes, I've seen some of his videos although I'm more after an off-the-peg solution. When I first started looking I naively thought someone like CAT would sell or recommend a tried and tested range of turbines. For that matter it would seem more logical if the government did just hand over grants but could offer advice and some tried and tested solutions for people.

I know what you mean, when I first saw his little pelton I thought that's strange I thought impulse  turbines were efficient at very high heads and below that you were better off with reaction devices, like francis turbines or even archimedes screws.

What sort of flow and head do you have available, if any fish on the scene then archimedes screw seem to do least damage.

The thing is at the single dwelling level apart from solar panels there's not much done.  Now we're into spring my PV is producing quite nicely  but I'd still like a small thermal electric device to make up for shortfalls . Micro hydro or wind are not possible here

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

What sort of flow and head do you have available, if any fish on the scene then archimedes screw seem to do least damage.

Head anything up to about 20m from the highest bit of the stream I own to the lowest, but in reality I'd use much less. Flow, I've no idea but I would not wade across the stream when it's in full flow and it moves quite large tree trunks. No fish to worry about.

What appeals to me most is the stream is often in full flood when I need the energy most in winter and it's 24/7 week in week out, unlike solar and wind.

Edited by Paul in the woods

On 09/09/2021 at 10:29, Billhook said:

Not like a farmer to be optimistic but perhaps with the current hike in gas and electricity prices, coupled with the net zero initiative and the move to all electric cars, people may find it hard to pay the increases to keep warm.  Keeping warm is the greatest cost.

I see they had to fire up a coal power plant recently as the wind power had faded. Gas being phased out and the electric demand will no doubt cause power cuts

what d’y’all think?

It has been over six months since I started this thread  and my goodness a lot has changed!  I was wrong about a hard Winter but I still believe it to be a possibility in the next few years..  Have not forgotten the Beast from the East in 2017 which cracked the block on my 14 litre Caterpillar D7 even though it was in an open fronted lean to with walls on three sides and sheltered from the East!

It will not be till next Winter now until  we see  some increased demand.  I am doing to split as much as I can this Summer as we still have a big heap left over from the storms earlier on.

Here is a summary of UK Winters

On 08/03/2022 at 17:49, Paul in the woods said:

Paul, Your biggest problem is the EA and their stupid rules etc etc. Personally stealth is your friend and for the cost of a stream engine I would JFDI. Plenty of video's on the internet. PM me if you want more info.

https://microhydropower.com/stream-engine/

Edited by renewablejohn
link added
  • Like 3

On 08/03/2022 at 20:40, Paul in the woods said:

Head anything up to about 20m from the highest bit of the stream I own to the lowest, but in reality I'd use much less. Flow, I've no idea but I would not wade across the stream when it's in full flow and it moves quite large tree trunks. No fish to worry about.

What appeals to me most is the stream is often in full flood when I need the energy most in winter and it's 24/7 week in week out, unlike solar and wind.

Paul on Raasay used to share lots on Navitron about the Power Spout. Should be some stuff about it on his blog 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Me here again and I have to ask the question again now that there are abundant U turns on Fracking, Nuclear, Oil and Gas .  A lot of these will take time to implement in the meantime many vulnerable people are having to choose between food and heat.  Surely  a government push for firewood is in order to alleviate the situation?  It ticks a lot of the green boxes, renewable and environmentally friendly if done correctly