Future Firewood Demand Optimism?

Billhook

38 minutes ago, Billhook said:

I think that the tragic death in Rothbury and the 16000 homes with no electricity in the North East and Scotland, does demonstrate the need for a reliable backup heat source when the electricity supply is cut by storms, overloading, breakdowns  or even terrorism.

A wood burning stove is not just a very pleasant form of everyday heating, but could be the difference between life and death in some circumstances 

The more we become reliant on electricity the more likely it will be overloaded, especially if everyone has an electric vehicle 

Well my woodstove has no hotplate and we have an electric cookerwoodstove.thumb.jpeg.7a3f4b6b0561f8006825546f7491a825.jpeg but I bought this for 15 quid from fleabay and using kindling it boils 1.5 litres in 15 minutes and I have cooked egg and sausage on one fuelling. It all packs into the base. I would not use it indoors

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Well my woodstove has no hotplate and we have an electric cookerwoodstove.thumb.jpeg.7a3f4b6b0561f8006825546f7491a825.jpeg but I bought this for 15 quid from fleabay and using kindling it boils 1.5 litres in 15 minutes and I have cooked egg and sausage on one fuelling. It all packs into the base. I would not use it indoors

Here are some ideas

WWW.DIRECTSTOVES.COM

Have you ever wondered whether you can cook food with your log burner? Here, we show you how, with help from the best...

SALAMANDERSTOVES.COM

Turn your tiny wood stove into a tiny cookstove with a cast iron cook pot.

WWW.AMAZON.COM

I think never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. A few trees down, but we didn't get the storm bad here, no loss of electricity.

11yrs ago (when I still lived with my folks), the winter with the bad snow, we were without electricity for 5days, annoying but no big deal.

There's been some right moaners on the radio etc lately. If we lost power now, I reckon we would cope fine. Main form of heating is a stove anyway. Got heaps of candles stashed away. Plenty of torches/rechargeable worklights. Small solar and 12v battery systems that can run 12v lights and have usb chargers. A load of old large 12v batteries. 240v and 12v generators. 240v inverter and diesel night heater on a van. Couple of gas camping stoves. Ghillie kettle. etc

Power cuts are a fact of life.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, scbk said:

I think never a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket. A few trees down, but we didn't get the storm bad here, no loss of electricity.

11yrs ago (when I still lived with my folks), the winter with the bad snow, we were without electricity for 5days, annoying but no big deal.

There's been some right moaners on the radio etc lately. If we lost power now, I reckon we would cope fine. Main form of heating is a stove anyway. Got heaps of candles stashed away. Plenty of torches/rechargeable worklights. Small solar and 12v battery systems that can run 12v lights and have usb chargers. A load of old large 12v batteries. 240v and 12v generators. 240v inverter and diesel night heater on a van. Couple of gas camping stoves. Ghillie kettle. etc

Power cuts are a fact of life.

I think that in America you would be called a serious prepper!

• Like 2

I was thinking about the firewood demand as gas prices rise. We expect the price cap to rise significantly in April so next winter the cost of gas could be several times what they were.  At that price wood will be slightly cheaper as a fuel.  If I were a firewood seller I would be thinking about preparing higher volumes and working on ways to shift higher volumes without investing loads.  Maybe a leaflet with every delivery/email to every current customer to put the thought in their heads and offers like, 'take green wood from march to August and self dry, get dried wood at the same/discounted price from January to march'. For those not taking up they offer then a 20-30% price rise, the wood will still be a cheap form of heating

• Like 1

Here we go again with storm Barra coming tomorrow.  Some three thousand homes are still without electricity or heat from storm Arwen.

I think that the law in Norway should be brought in here for rural communities.

I still say that we are due for a normal hard Winter in spite of the nay sayers and catastrophic climate pundits 

Edited by Billhook
  • Like 1