Mental health and wellbeing

Just now, Moose McAlpine said:

That is very much a key point in this subject.

Exactly, this is a discussion form, there will be deferences of opinion. We as a society need to get back to a time when people could disagree without falling out. My holding a different opinion to you, should in no way invalidate your opinion.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Here we go again.

Alcohol does not depress me.

Ok, i don't want this to descend into an argument because so far this topic has been constructive.

Alcohol is a depressant, that's a well-known fact. While it does not depress you that doesn't change that it's a depressant, and it's all to do with susceptibility to depression, coping mechanisms and so on.

Since i'm not a doctor, here's an explaination from someone who is:

https://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/alcohol-and-depresssion

I can't comment much on alcohol and depression personally as i don't drink.

Edited by Moose McAlpine
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, skyhuck said:

What evidence do you have that getting pissed and ringing a mate would not help?

Its well known that the only time most blokes (well northern blokes) show their mates anything near affection is when they are pissed.

I'm a Northern bloke, Oldham, but for me getting pissed and ringing a mate wouldn't enter my head. I've never felt comfortable discussing my problems with anybody. If I relied on drink to help, I usually ended up getting even worse, bottling it up, then taking it out on some poor sod who looked at me sideways. I ended up seeing a psychiatrist for "my anger issues", didn't do me any good, I just felt a pillock and a bit of a tart. It took my then new wife to read me the Riot Act to bring me to heel and realise I could lose everything unless I changed. I did, although I still have an extremely quick temper, but now manage to control it. I've never taken it out on my animals or children, I'd walk away and fume on my own till I got under control. Again to reiterate,  everyone is different, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, skyhuck said:

So now you are trying to shame me for my honesty?

I can honestly say I have never felt the need to talk about my mental health with anyone, we are not all alike.

Is that what I was doing?

Just a surprising comment from you is all Dave. Its great that some people don't feel the need to talk about their mental health. Good for you. I don't tend to either.

I do certainly appreciate that a lot of people are different to me, for whatever reason. Suggesting that talking doesn't really help for those people is a bit daft imo.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Alcohol is a depressant..

While many use it to "treat" depression that's very counter-productive.

Weirdly when I am "down" I am not interested in alcohol. I am also uncommunicative.

And I know alcohol is an additional depressant, but that does not come into it.

Now when I am "up", a pint of stout or two, an ah cud slabber for Ireland.

I also had a few conversations with another bloke, a workmate, who was intelligent and articulate but suffered from depression, and candidly discussed his inability to stay away from alcohol when depressed, even though he KNEW it was definately NOT going to help.

We are all different.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

Suggesting that talking doesn't really help for those people is a bit daft imo.

I wasn't suggesting that, I was asking the question. 

Lots of things are changing fast in these modern times, the world tends to be a much more tolerant place, which I think is a good thing general.

But, IMO, not all so called progress is good. Take transgender's as an example. Most kids feel like they don't fit in as they hit puberty, giving them the idea they may not be in the right body does not strike me as very helpful. IMO, the constraints of normal expectations and the idea that somethings are weird, is not such a bad thing, it might just keep them on the normative narrative until they find their feet. 

• Like 9