661 or 881

Dilz

now had delivery of a 661 set back another 2 weeks for the 3rd time - total time waited about 8weeks so far... another local shop has got an 881 they keep trying to sell me...its tempting despite already having bought a 36"bar and lo pro set up for a 661 (teach me for counting my horses / saws before they come in I guess) really contemplating selling the bar and chains I've got and forking out the extra pennis (and its a few) for a 881 set up. But the whole idea behind the 661 is that's a saw that I will use also on bigger take downs...880s off a harness is something I'd like to keep as a distant memory if I can help my shoulders...but flip side is 881 is going to be handy if I end up getting some even bigger milling jobs - though it seems overkill as most the stuff I mill for myself is small diameter due to not having a loader to move bigger lumps about.

any thoughts much appreciated. 

I’ve just bought an 881 and it’s an awesome saw, always used a 660 on a 36” for years but the 881 is a totally different thing! Hell of a saw to dig in and pull through the timber whereas the 660 you have to lean on it.

ideally they’re both different and depends on your need…. On a harness 660 all day long! On the deck… 881 wipes the floor with the 660.

still love my 660 and the 881 (which in fairness I did not want to buy but so glad I did)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dilz said:

now had delivery of a 661 set back another 2 weeks for the 3rd time - total time waited about 8weeks so far... another local shop has got an 881 they keep trying to sell me...its tempting despite already having bought a 36"bar and lo pro set up for a 661 (teach me for counting my horses / saws before they come in I guess) really contemplating selling the bar and chains I've got and forking out the extra pennis (and its a few) for a 881 set up. But the whole idea behind the 661 is that's a saw that I will use also on bigger take downs...880s off a harness is something I'd like to keep as a distant memory if I can help my shoulders...but flip side is 881 is going to be handy if I end up getting some even bigger milling jobs - though it seems overkill as most the stuff I mill for myself is small diameter due to not having a loader to move bigger lumps about.

any thoughts much appreciated. 

As I understand it the 881 is lighter and more ergonomic than the old 880 RE off a harness . Something to consider . 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Stubby said:

As I understand it the 881 is lighter and more ergonomic than the old 880 RE off a harness . Something to consider . 

AND...I could justify adding another mid range saw to the collection later....

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Not lighter, I think it's almost identical to the gram but it definitely feels like a saw instead of the 880 which felt like a motorbike engine with handle.

Get the 881 and then a 500i down the road. Between those there's no place for a 660 anymore. I was eying up a 661 until I went into the milling side and needed the 881, I don't regret it at all. Crosscutting large timber is basically a job of lifting the saw onto it and then it drags itself in and does all the work for you. 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Not lighter, I think it's almost identical to the gram but it definitely feels like a saw instead of the 880 which felt like a motorbike engine with handle. Get the 881 and then a 500i down the road. Between those there's no place for a 660 anymore. I was eying up a 661 until I went into the milling side and needed the 881, I don't regret it at all. Crosscutting large timber is basically a job of lifting the saw onto it and then it drags itself in and does all the work for you. 

Under stood . However if looking for the next size down the Husqvarna 592XP looks to be the billie bollox !

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2