What does it cost to be a tree surgeon?

Albedo

'The cost of being an arborist? a LOT more than just money!'

hamadryad - you hit the nail on the head there mate (again!)

I turned in my own company about 7 years ago and went freelance climbing. I earned the same as I was paying myself and I didn't have to spend saturday and half of sunday pricing up. The main reason I packed in was the stress, although my company was successfull and I had work coming out of my ears, it was a constant 24 hour struggle to make a profit.

With a young family (that I didn't see much of) and a strain on my marriage on top of that, it was like a massive weight off my shoulders when I finally threw the towel in.

A lot of us may be very good arborists but you can earn more by being a very average one and a very good businessman......I was not.

Good luck to all you fella's starting out with your own firm, always remember...work to live, don't live to work....:thumbdown:

It was an experience I'm glad I went through, I learnt a lot about Arb - and myself, but I'm happy to play with other peoples trainsets and then jump in my wagon and drive home at the end of it...:thumbup:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my last full year ending mid 09 and to run a 3 man team. My wages are not included as the directors loan comes out of the profit.

Thats interesting, thanks for the input. I bet you have to work hard doing quotes, and generally doing that turnover

'The cost of being an arborist? a LOT more than just money!'

hamadryad - you hit the nail on the head there mate (again!)

I turned in my own company about 7 years ago and went freelance climbing. I earned the same as I was paying myself and I didn't have to spend saturday and half of sunday pricing up. The main reason I packed in was the stress, although my company was successfull and I had work coming out of my ears, it was a constant 24 hour struggle to make a profit.

With a young family (that I didn't see much of) and a strain on my marriage on top of that, it was like a massive weight off my shoulders when I finally threw the towel in.

A lot of us may be very good arborists but you can earn more by being a very average one and a very good businessman......I was not.

Good luck to all you fella's starting out with your own firm, always remember...work to live, don't live to work....:thumbdown:

It was an experience I'm glad I went through, I learnt a lot about Arb - and myself, but I'm happy to play with other peoples trainsets and then jump in my wagon and drive home at the end of it...:thumbup:

Another fine post, cheers arbogrunt, I think theres a lot of people on here at the same place in the life of an arborist. Could be time for Short Wheel Base to say more than his first, concise, post

I slowed down a few years ago . Again stress , staff off sick , holiday pay, it never ends . I,m a one man band with a soon to be new groundie . As and when needed of course . Strange thing is I do less work and I,m loads better off money wise . Why didnt I realise this years ago . I do what I want when I want sometimes to laid back . Well its still crimbo in my world .:thumbup:

I ran 4 guys full time on the tools and partime help this winter. From what I can gather the additional hassel and stress of sending 2 teams out wasn't really worth it for me. Yeah we pulled in more money but the logistics of what to do when caused quite a bit of stress. If I was just pricing and organising it would have been fine but doing 4 days on the tools too was a hassel.

For me 2 employees full time, quote fridays strickly now work on weekends seems to suit. I've never been in this for the money, I just want to do the work how I want to and treat employees how I would have liked to be treated.

You could operate for alot less than I do, i'm sure of that

I visited 2 businesses today, one is laying a third of its staff today due to the economic slow down, the other is tightening up terms and conditions of payment. They used to give 30days to account holders, 14 days to non-account, now the accounts have 14 days, non accts have just 5 days to pay. As the boss said, if the banks want their money, we want ours sooner.