Milling bar odd wear

Paddy1000111

If you've seen my post on the today's milling forum I was milling some big beach. I have been checking over the kit today and noticed this wear on the bar. DSC_0510.thumb.JPG.5c36744d611660beab6edff7a28206ee.JPG

It's pretty hefty wear on the cutting side of the bar? It never ran dry and it had both the 881 oiler on full and an auxiliary oiler fitted on the cutting side. Both the guard on the tip of the bar and the sprocket cover on the saw was dripping with oil the entire time. I ran the chains and the bar in following robs guide in youtube and spraying it with oil. Anyone know what caused this? For reference the other side is fine and the bar seems perfect with no hot zones along the length, just one specific spot.

6 minutes ago, AHPP said:

I've just found some of that on the 25" crosscutting bar on my 500. Put it down to running the chain looser than usual.

That's what I thought origionally but it's the cutting side as opposed to the "top" of the bar. Wouldn't have thought tension would matter on the cutting side? 

Was it particularly dusty or had the log been dragged? It has been my experience that a slack chain tends not to be slack right up where it is being driven, particularly on a wide cut where it will be putting plenty of tension on it. My immediate thought would be grit or dust on the log which will get mixed with the oil and form a grinding paste. It can happen most obviously when the log has been dragged or is lying by a dusty track and has been there long enough for mud and dust to have been splashed up onto it. The same can happen at the base of roadside trees while still growing. If it is that, in theory pressure washing removes it but I tend to de-bark where I can to prevent it. Much less of an issue in woodland and back garden trees.

Alec

• Like 1

Thinking about it, there was the large crotch on the end that I got in and removed as much mulch and crap as I could from but it was almost like compost. I got in there with a brush and a crow bar and scraped it out but maybe you're right and that's what it is. Gutting though on a brand new bar 😫 I'll dress it and sort it but it's knocked a good bit of life out the bar

I get that fairly often on the milling bars. Regular dressing. bearing in mind that when milling you are flat out for as long as needed to get through the whole log and that is a lot more wearing than cross cuts. Additionally even when the chain is on tight it still manages to stretch when it gets hot so its doing some moving during the milling process. And as above you are potentially dealing with more dirt and grit during milling. In my humble opinion that's what I would think does it. Although I could be completely wrong and potentially talking a lot of balderdash. 

• Like 2

I just think it's odd.. maybe running the chains a little hard towards the end didn't help. They were getting dull and I kept going until the end of the log which is a lot of cutting on 5m logs. Probably a combination of pushing hard (although the rest of the bar was fine) and a little dirt. Just surprised, it's about 1mm-1.5mm deep 😳