Memory Loss

Billhook

13 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

B985DVK - my parents VW Polo from when I was about 10!

I keep a picture of my current reg on my phone so I can remember it in car parks etc!

Don't start.  I could give the plates for my dad's Jag when I was born, the Bedford Utilabrake following that, the Fiats following that, my mum's 1966 Anglia and at least one of her Fiats!

But the names of the guys who recently spent a week here re-wiring... I'd have to think a bit

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, IronMike said:

I often think my memory has reached maximum capacity. I tell folk I have to forget old stuff to be able to remember new stuff, and I’m 39! 😂 

I’m not sure the years of going raving and chomping down pills has helped my cause unfortunately. I didn’t stop to think about at the time as I was young and foolish and having a good time. I’m sure me and my friends will all be effected by it at some point.

On a side note, a few years ago I noticed my old man started to repeat himself a lot. Sometimes he’d tell me the same same thing 2 or 3 times in an afternoon. I was a bit worried, but ultimately I think it’s just his age as he is 76. I mentioned it to my mum and she wasn’t bothered!

Same as really,  the  human mind can only remember abt 140 faces ( and there is a good reason for that) i struggle to accomplish tasks i did easily 20 years ago, but only because i have done many many different tasks since. Plus computers are to blame filling our heads with nonsense. Books do the same but its a slower process 😉  K

• Like 1

I forget lots of things 🙂 especially the thingy ma jigs and the oh you no what’s, I rarely remember people unless we genuinely got on and I have been known to chat with someone on several occasions over a period of years and never remember them 😂 I usually give myself away when I say ( It was lovely to meet you ) only to be told we have indeed met before on many occasions. I am always day dreaming and seem to be able to multitask without thinking 😁 basically i remember what I think is important and delete the rest. If my memory concerned me I would reluctantly see a doctor but so far I am winging it so i bumble on through life x I think you are probably a very clever man who knows an awful lot and your running out of room 🙂 it’s a known fact the male brain is smaller the the females anyway 😉 x  And worrying only worsens the problem, I wish you well 🙏🏼 You are very humble and honest sharing such a worrying subject.

who am i ? 🤦🏻‍♀️
what was I saying ?  

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Insomnia doesn't help

Probs not and I'm a lifelong exponent.  At 17/18 years I was playing competitive sport at least 6 days a week and living on 5 hours sleep.

I realise that there is nothing new about memory loss with age, I was just wondering if it has been accelerated in the last year.  The young usually are quick to correct me or come up with a name but this has not been the case recently.

I remember reading somewhere that your memory actually improves as you age but it affects you more when you are older.  For instance if you forgot your pen at school you would probably think little of it but if you are the MD of a big company and you arrive at an important meeting having forgotten your pen, you think that you are losing your mind as well.?

I now avoid casually addressing my lads by name as I was in the habit of calling even the newest recruit the name of someone who left 10 years ago.

I just make a conscious effort to either not say any name or think before I speak.

Driving around I can freely remember events and peoples names from 50 years ago, as I drive past a site where such and such occurred.

On the other side of the coin any of the younger generation claiming to work for me instantly knows my name - it’s nowadays either Buddy, Bruv , or Boss.

• Like 2