Memory Loss

Billhook

7 minutes ago, IronMike said:

I often think my memory has reached maximum capacity. I tell folk I have to forget old stuff to be able to remember new stuff, and I’m 39! 😂 

I’m not sure the years of going raving and chomping down pills has helped my cause unfortunately. I didn’t stop to think about at the time as I was young and foolish and having a good time. I’m sure me and my friends will all be effected by it at some point.

On a side note, a few years ago I noticed my old man started to repeat himself a lot. Sometimes he’d tell me the same same thing 2 or 3 times in an afternoon. I was a bit worried, but ultimately I think it’s just his age as he is 76. I mentioned it to my mum and she wasn’t bothered!

I think I have repeated myself on this thread already!  Somebody stop me!

• Haha 3

As kids, we used to take the mick out of dad for his terrible memory and the way he would sometimes refer to the back garden as he was going out the front. 

Around 45, my memory got so bad, my wife accompanied me to the docs to get it assessed. She accompanied me because I couldn't be relied upon to answer any questions relating to the subject. I completed the assessment with a perfect score. 

I can still get three quarters of the way through a book or film and then realise I know what's coming. 

I forget stuff every day, and it's getting worse. There are occasions when people must think me incredibly rude as I forget having met them before, whether they have children, or what type of dog they have. If I had dementia, people would understand. I don't though, just terrible recall. 

Great thing now though is that my wife is catching up. At least the piss taking has stopped. Not really, she's always had a giggle about it, but never nastily. 

• Sad 1

So, so familiar.  So much so that last year and this I actually did online cognitive function tests 

CFT.FOODFORTHEBRAIN.ORG

No, can't remember my score but it was a long way above one causing concern. I've probably forgotten my password to find out too.  But I did get an e-mail with dietary recommendations (there's a lengthy lifestyle questionnaire if you fancy it)

I read somewhere (probably within that website) that 'if you think you have a memory problem you haven't'.  I'll take it!

I think it's easy to confuse ageing with failing; what we're experiencing is normal dammit.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I look at memory as a bucket of water . Over the years memories get poured into the bucket . Eventually the bucket becomes full . You can reach down and retrieve the memories that are in the bottom but as the bucket is full all new memories  just spill over the top as you pour them in .  I get what you get and I am 68 ...I think .

Didn't you say 67 yesterday?

It's a fair analogy, my mother could recite a poem from "Flax of Dream" right up toward the end but not remeber anything from the past week.

SImilarly my brother would recite a love poem to his wife from 50 years back  but not remeber his way to the bathroom shortly before he passed away.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I look at memory as a bucket of water . Over the years memories get poured into the bucket . Eventually the bucket becomes full . You can reach down and retrieve the memories that are in the bottom but as the bucket is full all new memories  just spill over the top as you pour them in .  I get what you get and I am 68 ...I think .

Stubby, you've been 68 since I joined this forum. You were born aged 68.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

A strange thing about memory is that I can remember the registration number of my parents car 50 odd years ago when I was about 7 yet I haven't the faintest idea what my own number plate is on the vehicle I drive today.

No doubt others will come along and say it is exactly the same for them. I bet they haven't got private plates though. :D

1 hour ago, Billhook said:

Yes now I think about it, it was always names of people that went straight in one ear and out of the other.  Being introduced to a group of people at a party or a business meeting.  I think in those cases you are so busy assessing the person you are looking at and making quick judgements that the brain side lines the less important name.

But the Hornbeam incident really made me think as it is a solitary tree on the farm road here and at this time of year looks just like a beech and I try to catch people out with it, but just managed this time to catch myself out!

Some telephone numbers and all my bank statements and bank codes I remember well

Yesterday a girl in the bank asked for my banking pass code number and I just reeled it off straight away  " Oh dear, she said I only wanted the last two digits and now I am going to have to send you another number .in the post"

I am really on about something a little different.  I just notice it more with other people at the moment, people who I am sure would have remembered the name a year ago, a bit like " What is the name of that site on the web that talks about trees!"

"It's on the tip of my tongue, I'll think of it in a minute!"

Christ Alive!  Imagine if all the doddering old buggers who've commented met up for a drink, absolute chaos! I thought it was only me that's gaga. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mark Bolam said:

B985DVK - my parents VW Polo from when I was about 10!

I keep a picture of my current reg on my phone so I can remember it in car parks etc!

Son! I wondered what happened to you. I'd forgotten you existed. I've still got that car, I think.

• Haha 3