Ex MOD Leyland DAF thinking of buying,,

spuddog0507

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Hi all been pondering on buying a bigger truck than a Cabstar for a while now, Been thinking of a Ex MOD Leyland DAF for a while now, i have done a bit of home work and things dont look to bad for me to purchase one with working in forestry, I went to look at the one below yesterday and OK its not new or looking pretty but its solid, its very very basic with no creature comforts and it wont break any land speed records, Ok it wants work on it and a tidy up but if i get stuck in it wont take long, it has a Boughton 5.5 tonne hydraulic winch fitted with 70 mtr cable all working, truck has done 38k, its gross weight is 11600kg and tare is around 6 tonne but that can be lowered as there can be some items removed from it, thinking of fitting a crane and grab on the on the arse end, and then probably a trailer behind it at some point,

So can anyone shed any light on a few issues ! and all comments will be welcome,

Registeration class

Taxation class

insurance

MOT

running costs

Vosa checks 

opporater liecence

and what ever anyone can think of !! 

IMG_0598.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0594.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

I used to run one of these, and I fitted a crane and log grab to it.  Biggest limitation was if I had downrated it to 7.5 ton the payload would have been very low - maybe as low as 1.5 tons.

So of course you are better off not downrating it, but unless you can register it as agricultural you will have to have operator's license, lots of tests, white diesel, etc, etc.  

I never got round to road registering mine so it only got used around my site - pretty pointless really - so in the end I sold it and got a telehandler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

Is it already road registered? I spoke to Witham a few years ago about a big ex-military crane truck that seemed cheap and they said they are very difficult to get on the road in the uk once demobbed...

No its not road registered at the moment, but there should be no problem getting it registered ,

1 hour ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Are you looking at Withams or a private purchase?

We sell ex MOD Land Rovers, Military Vehicles, Earth Moving Plant in our online auctions, tenders and sales.

I often look at Withams stock list and wonder if I might buy something. 

I get the impression they are well established and will have plenty of experience on the legalities / technicalities of converting ex-mod to road registered. I very nearly went down the RB44 route but didn’t get much further than research. 

I think Withams have about done with the Leyland Daf,s now, there may be a odd one go through now and then but not many, but saying that they did have several brand spanking new ones that where reserve units, Withams deal with all MOD dissposal now and when i first thought about one of these trucks withams where putting hundreds through and they where very very cheap, the one i looked at yesterday was in the last big batch and i know what it sold for, There is a DECE cert with it which is basically a MOD release doc that you submit along with registeration form to DVLA, i have spoke to some one who did a Bedford tm a few years back, i did look at the RB44 my self but its not big enough as i need to be moving 10-12 tonne of timber at once, 

27 minutes ago, Squaredy said:

I used to run one of these, and I fitted a crane and log grab to it.  Biggest limitation was if I had downrated it to 7.5 ton the payload would have been very low - maybe as low as 1.5 tons.

So of course you are better off not downrating it, but unless you can register it as agricultural you will have to have operator's license, lots of tests, white diesel, etc, etc.  

I never got round to road registering mine so it only got used around my site - pretty pointless really - so in the end I sold it and got a telehandler.

To put it in a context of, its like opening a massive tin of worms and trying to get them all to lie straight, what one GOV website says its then different on another GOV website which makes things very confuseing and if the GOV or controlling bodies cant all agree and get it right there aint much chance of us doing it,

• Like 1

Remember there will be no red diesel in 18 months if it won’t stack up running white and o licence it’s probably not going to work. you can’t carry a load if it’s reg as a tractor.

Edited by dumper
  • Like 2

Nowt to do with me Guv - the tree owner arranged for this outfit to collect the timber from a recent job. 

Owner / operator doesn’t seem to worry too much about any of the ‘usual’ administrative details associated with operating a vehicle on the public highway. 

The improvised braking system was notably innovative!

E4C42E5E-9632-4544-BDB5-8F97094FE1F8.jpeg

3B301C79-E109-48A1-80FB-962625CF9AAF.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, oldwoodcutter said:

That’s more like it, just steer clear of london

I am a long way from London, and its a place i have never been or intend to go to, the nearest i have been is Santapod and knebworth, the world seems to get to busy once past Birmingham, it would take me a day to get to london in the truck,

• Like 2