Modern saws staying out all night in wood?

drinksloe

Alright.

Anyone ever had any problems leaning modern computerized saws out overnight in cold/wet/snow conditions?

I often leave my saws/tools up wood if felling in the same area the next day, still running some older saws ( few off the last 3 series huskies)

Finally got finger out and bought myself a new 462, even read the manual about storing etc.

This site is still fairly cold, I've not been up for a few weeks but had 18" of snow lying last week and still a bit hanging on so pretty cold still.

Will leaving my modern saw out overnight harm it?

Prob be hung up a tree rather than on deck.

Must admit I have left my 550 and 60 out and never even thought about it infact my 50 spent 5 nights stuck in a tree up there a few weeks ago and fired mar bother.

Mind 1 of the old timers who done 1st thinnings saying he left his saw  ( most likely a 254) under a pile of brash 1 Fri night and it snowed heavily that wknd took him weeks to find it. 

12 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Alright.

Anyone ever had any problems leaning modern computerized saws out overnight in cold/wet/snow conditions?

I often leave my saws/tools up wood if felling in the same area the next day, still running some older saws ( few off the last 3 series huskies)

Finally got finger out and bought myself a new 462, even read the manual about storing etc.

This site is still fairly cold, I've not been up for a few weeks but had 18" of snow lying last week and still a bit hanging on so pretty cold still.

Will leaving my modern saw out overnight harm it?

Prob be hung up a tree rather than on deck.

Must admit I have left my 550 and 60 out and never even thought about it infact my 50 spent 5 nights stuck in a tree up there a few weeks ago and fired mar bother.

Mind 1 of the old timers who done 1st thinnings saying he left his saw  ( most likely a 254) under a pile of brash 1 Fri night and it snowed heavily that wknd took him weeks to find it. 

Why cant you take em home with ya,i used to leave mine years ago but not anymore some twat will nick em sooner or later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gary112 said:

Why cant you take em home with ya,i used to leave mine years ago but not anymore some twat will nick em sooner or later

If I'm leaving them it's a long walk in and I do take a few mins to cover/disguise with brash.

Seen me taking a min or 2 to find them sometimes the next morn.

Esp his time off year little daylight for folk to go ratching anyway.

I've left mine in the back of the car on nights below -5 (Stihl ms261c-m) and not had any issues in the morning starts in 4 pulls every time from ice cold. 

I do spray the connectors and most of the saw etc with ACF-50 and I put Dow-Corning DC4 in the spark plug boot every 6 months or even 3 months if it's getting wet. I haven't ever had an issue. 

1 hour ago, Dan Maynard said:

I wouldn't have thought of doing that.

I guess the difference is that you have some electronics in a new saw that you didn't have in a 3 series. If moisture were to get in that it would be a problem, but then it should all be sealed to stop that.

A lot off the old timers done it regularly.

Have to watch with ur helmet as mice like eating them and bloody freezing putting a frosted helmet on 1st thing.

Aye it was all these fancy electrics got me thinking, I might just carry saw out to be safe since its brand new.

Althou looking a forecast weather looks quite mild now up to a few degrees and little frost at night.

Just wondering if anyone else has had problems, but possibly not many folk leave saws in wood anymore.

I don't do it that all that often as not that often on same site 2 days on trot

2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've left mine in the back of the car on nights below -5 (Stihl ms261c-m) and not had any issues in the morning starts in 4 pulls every time from ice cold. 

I do spray the connectors and most of the saw etc with ACF-50 and I put Dow-Corning DC4 in the spark plug boot every 6 months or even 3 months if it's getting wet. I haven't ever had an issue. 

Aye my saws in back off van almost permantly, I need to line the roof as terrible with condensation.

Had a month - 6 weeks constant of - temps quite a few nights pushing double figures, been a cool 1 this year.

2 sites I'm on havnae had a wagon in this year or since Christmas, road conditions are that bad with frost and snow.

Just the more extremes when let outside.

Was fairly cold when my 550 had its camping trip and fired up bar bother

I had the same with a land rover. You could go round a corner and all the water would run to one side and dump on you! I used this stuff, works a treat!:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

CAMPER THERM FOAM INSULATION SELF ADHESIVE BACKING. 1 m Wide CAMPER THERM foam insulation with Self Adhesive Backing. Self adhesive backing ensures a...

• Like 1

We used to do it when we where felling all the infected Larch 2-3 years ago, all M tronic saws which we left out and had no problems, i had a piece of old wagon sheet about 4 ft square and we just wrapped the saws in that covered with brash and all ok, they got left out once from Thursday - wednesday once as it came a fare bit of snow in the early hrs of Friday and we could not get to site till the following Wednesday and all seemed OK but the lad working with me hid his felling bar and still has,ent found it,

I was just chatting to the young lad who is starting out and doing a few days with me, and I said I wondered how many felling bars there were out there that had been left in the woods by accident! My bet is a lot.

As for leaving saws in the woods..... I’ve never thought about it truth be told. I’m never that far away from the truck so I always take mine home with me. Like others I’ve had mine in the back of the truck overnight recently when it’s very cold and had no problems firing the, up.