At work today

gary112

1 hour ago, Bolt said:

That is the unforeseen problem with battery stuff.

Once you have got into one system, you are loath to get involved in the other stuff!

Very true. I really want that little echo top handle battery, but already have husky and makita battery top handles. All good in their own way. 👍

17 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

Uncovered an interesting old wrought iron railing today while clearing Ivy and Leylandii from a forgotten property for the new owners. It's believed the fence avoided requesition during the war due to the house having links with the church.

The house has a stone carving saying it was built in 1881 "To The Glory of God". We thought the railing was of that time too but discovered an entrance gate with a cast plaque sign attached.

DSC_0190.thumb.JPG.cd23e4331013635d366fb4a93afd4390.JPG

DSC_0191.thumb.JPG.07c943ac819089793d6f7b6876e74d75.JPG

DSC_0189.thumb.JPG.bfac460e87c0a632bc04410a4b464780.JPG

DSC_0186.thumb.JPG.97156005c20d25f5aac6fe2822546e11.JPG

The plaque reads...

"Beware of the Dog. As from 1st May 1864 Sir John Rumblelow will not be held responsible for trespassers attacked beyond this point"

Wonder how many were attacked before he had the sign made!

Tag snoop on Twitter, bet he'd pay thousands for that sign!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Very true. I really want that little echo top handle battery, but already have husky and makita battery top handles. All good in their own way. 👍

The benefit of the little echo is that none of the other echo stuff looks that useful. So you aren’t buying into a system, and you don’t need to be annoyed at having bought into the Husky/stihl kit already. It’s lighter, more compact, basically just a pruning saw, nothing more. 

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. Squirrel said:

The benefit of the little echo is that none of the other echo stuff looks that useful. So you aren’t buying into a system, and you don’t need to be annoyed at having bought into the Husky/stihl kit already. It’s lighter, more compact, basically just a pruning saw, nothing more. 

Good point and yes that's what I am after. Its been on the list for a while. I may just have to bite the bullet and do it sometime. 👍

22 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

If there were no 261 I could see the battery equivalent being of some use, but you definitely bought the better saw!

Now that really is interesting. As I said, in that video, the battery saw looked very impressive. I had a couple of hours felling some multi stemmed Leylandii yesterday, and I have to say, I'm absolutely blown away with the 261. Now I've only got a 14" bar on it, which is probably too short to tax it unduly, but it's perfect for what I want it to do. I buried that bar, and couldn't realistically make it struggle. As others have said, once you buy into any battery system, you're effectively tied to that make/voltage. I'm Makita in the day job, and I'm slightly peeved that they haven't made the new 40v stuff backwards compatible with the 18v ( even though some of the batteries have identical numbers of cells inside, just wired differently ). That's why I have a battery Makita chainsaw, and for trimming/pruning/ of anything under around 4", it's perfect. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peter 1955 said:

That's why I have a battery Makita chainsaw, and for trimming/pruning/ of anything under around 4", it's perfect.

Feel the same about our small Stihl battery groundsaw, it's ideal.

We had a big beech dismantle today, elderly lady customer wanted to keep some logs but didn't want to cut or split anything herself, she got everything worth cutting up to around 5" diameter done with the small saw on one and a bit batteries. Doesn't feel slow or frustrating at all. The new battery saw didn't come out the truck.

I don't want to appear too negative about it but our whole team at work have used it now and a combined 80yrs of chainsaw experience was unimpressed. Maybe it's just been too hyped, tell folk that are used to using 50cc and upwards it's comparible and they'll have high expectations.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Poignant day today.

Big Al our foreman had his last day before retirement, 22yrs here doing Arb and 10yrs before that in Forestry. Now he's off to walk the dog, make bird boxes, play with the grandkids and do much more of his long standing other passion, playing guitar with his function band.

We spent the day making stools under the supervision of a notable local furniture maker. A lovely day without any noise, plenty of banter and an excellent picnic made by Mrs Boss. And we're all quite pleased with our stools made with Ash legs and Sycamore seat.

DSC_0205.thumb.JPG.cee55d2e896a9bcca2658cf219669b71.JPG

DSC_0208.thumb.JPG.815446847ceab9d0795e4aab2f3ed9cb.JPG

DSC_0209.thumb.JPG.e7e1c91ae66a8f35988dca5a1b22587e.JPG

1890366775_DSC_02142.thumb.JPG.b124eadd03b6715a678a05cd765337e8.JPG

DSC_0217.thumb.JPG.ed5f46967806ea20390cc37c58e6c777.JPG

I'd cleaned and fettled up a Husky 345 I had in the shed which we gave him from the lads as his perfect retirement saw, he was very happy!

DSC_0212.thumb.JPG.9d9554b60e65c5b8e489aaf44fbbf900.JPG

His last day on site was yesterday though and fortunately we had an Ash trunk to extract from an awkward spot. Our best work together is me in the crane with him directing and chaining up so we were in our happy place, was a great final working day together.

1351757264_DSC_01902.thumb.JPG.7f5d32741a2688fd943d42505a7ae815.JPG

1792067095_DSC_01972.thumb.JPG.0d804d20ef84170807b1661236ebd6e4.JPG

1262967620_DSC_02032.thumb.JPG.a9bf24894e5c948f80e7643be1beb5e3.JPG

All the best Alistair.

• Like 23