Lifting Tongs / Hookaroon - Worth Getting?

Witterings

I'm going to play devils advocate and say I quite like the 300mm Husqvarna tongs (haven't tried stihl mind) but I like the larger opening jaws, as some have said above you have to lift within your capabilities but when shifting larger lumps or smooth stuff like beech where the tongs don't always want to grab you can shift log length stuff (>12") by grabbing it on the flat cut ends as opposed to the round sides which has been beneficial for me anyway when moving lumps as having to squat down and pick up big chunks isn't good for your back or your willingness to do it 😂

• Like 4

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

The tongs in the Ebay advert you posted are totally crap,

Fair enough, I only noticed them when I was looking to see the jaw opening size of the Oregon which are about 3" more than the Stihl or Husky and that makes them more useful...I've got all three, also the Oregon handles are nicer on the hands.

That's what's good about this site, I might have been tempted to buy a pair of these just based on their capacity had you not posted, cheers.👍

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Good set here, pick what ever you like to use.  i was going to buy cos thanks to new tarif Brexit - wont bother  😕 K

Yeah,  bought some stuff from Stuttgart a few weeks ago, the extra made the part overly expensive and took ages in customs but I had no choice of supplier.

These tongs look good for dragging stuff and I'd expect quality from Germany, cheers.

• Sad 1

Just now, Macpherson said:

Yeah,  bought some stuff from Stuttgart a few weeks ago, the extra made the part overly expensive and took ages in customs but I had no choice of supplier.

These tongs look good for dragging stuff and I'd expect quality from Germany, cheers.

Liked but Not Liked 😉 glad yr happy with them though. K

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Good set here, pick what ever you like to use.  i was going to buy cos thanks to new tarif Brexit - wont bother  😕 K

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

1 Stück Stammwender-Sägebock FORSTO100. Stammwender, Stammheber und Kettensägebock in Einem. Das Holzmacher-Komplettset zum günstigen Vorteilspreis! Robust und Langlebig...

I have a better pair of long reach tongs from Clark Forest in Dumfries, no import tariffs from Scotland Kriss. 😉

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

I have a better pair of long reach tongs from Clark Forest in Dumfries, no import tariffs from Scotland Kriss. 😉

I do buy from Clarkes so will do same  🤔 local business n all. K

Edited by Khriss
( i best start eating that spider crab too before it runs out 😋)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/02/2021 at 02:37, spuddog0507 said:

The tongs in the Ebay advert you posted are totally crap, i bought a 2 pair deal of ebay about 18 mth ago for some young lads to use as they where £12 a pair and £12 was enough for them to loose compared to £40 a pair for the husky ones which are far better than any others i have used , these of Ebay are very soft metal and i am not joking, if you pick a log up and sneeze they bend and twist,,,

Just to say I've got two pairs of cheapy tongs from Ebay, similar to those posted, and they've worked well for me! No trouble at all. Nothing has bent or twisted and I've dragged some biggish chunks around. Personal use only though, so nothing like the use a pro might give them...

11 hours ago, Ontario Firewood Resource said:

Hookaroon/ pickaroon will save your back. Best applied to cut rounds, time consuming for firewood logs

Don’t agree with the firewood bit, I use two pickeroons (long and short handle depending on how low to the ground the wood is) for picking up the split logs as well as the rounds for splitting. It doesn’t take much longer and does save your back. Once you have the technique mastered it’s easy to pick up a piece of firewood and flick it into the wheelbarrow/trailer etc without much effort at all

• Like 1