big saws

welwell

395 is a truly awsome saw, as is the 660. must be something about that 90+cc class that works well...

Uses a bit of fuel though, I got through two full combi cans with your 395 the other day, and I wasnt exactly cutting non-stop!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:dito:

I've siezed a 880 (on a 48" bar) whilst splitting a big oak butt so a mog & crane could pick it up! Bigger downer was I'd borrowed it from a mate - it was his main saw for milling work!.

I've since got a 660 with a 36" bar and cut from both sides if needed!:icon14:

Just check the cooling fins aren't bunged up with dust before you blame yourself, if the saw was used in milling there's a good chance.

:dito:

I've siezed a 880 (on a 48" bar) whilst splitting a big oak butt so a mog & crane could pick it up! Bigger downer was I'd borrowed it from a mate - it was his main saw for milling work!.

I've since got a 660 with a 36" bar and cut from both sides if needed!:icon14:

was that clints mog by any chance?

I'm looking to buy a new big saw for milling soon. Looking at this thread and also speaking to people I find can leave you none the wiser! It seems different people have different preferences and also where people have probs with one saw someone else loves it! For instance the MS880 - I've used mine solidly for the last 2 years milling and general cross cutting but it has never seized. But it is a bitch to start - I now start 2 handed or it can pull your fingers straight! And despite keeping it well maintained and a recent carb kit it has trouble idling.... Is it the older 088 that used to seize or have there been problems with the 880?

I did have 2 makita DSC9010 on a double mill set up. Worked a treat until both overheated and seized. Replaced the piston etc. and yet a month later another had seized. Can't have been the fuel as I use Aspen. I don't know whether this was because they were on a double set up and so revving higher or whether it is a problem with the saw itself. But I bet there are poeple out there who use this saw every day with no problems.

So what to get? I did hear that Stihl and Husqvarna are not putting a lot of r & d into their biggest saws as there is not enough demand to warrant it. But surely there has to be more torque in the MS880 with 8.7 bhp compared to the MS660 with 7.1 bhp. I know the MS880 revs lower than the 660 but this is not necessarily a bad thing when it comes to miling.

And the Husqv 3120 - some seem to like it and some don't. Pretty hard to know unless you have had a lot of experience with both....:alberteinstein:

But it is a bitch to start - I now start 2 handed or it can pull your fingers straight!

Can't have been the fuel as I use Aspen. I don't know whether this was because they were on a double set up and so revving higher or whether it is a problem with the saw itself. But I bet there are poeple out there who use this saw every day with no problems.

1st get stihl part no: 1128-195-3401 ordered by your dealer, its the rescue saw (ms460R) D handle, makes starting loads easier! no more shreaded fingers

2nd were the saws richened up for milling, i richen the mix up on my saws when milling especially if your using aspen, i generally make the mix marginally more oily when milling and is the only time i dont use aspen! i richen my 084 up to 10,000rpm WOT for milling rather than the 11,500 that it should be at to ensure the piston is receiving enough lubrication.

Remember you can never have to much lubrication :star::008:

about 3quid i think i paid, it does stop the handle ripping back through your fingers when the saw fires! you dont have to use a stihl one, but it does mean i could list the part number

its a shame they dont make an elasto-start D handle as it would be silky smooth starting the biggers saws