Horse logging.

David Cropper

I've just been to a manor house in the next village from me to quote for grinding out 12 large pines. My French mate is the tree surgeon who's doing the felling, met up with him then another chap who will be coming in to remove the wood by horse. I've only ever seen horse logging once in my previous village, looking down at the River Charente from my garden where they were skidding the trunks out. Absolutely mesmerising watching these beautiful creatures working. I'm really looking forward to working on the same ground as this chap. I've attached his business card, easy enough to Google translate, to show his horse. Hopefully I can get some photos in February whilst they work. 

20210109_175010.jpg

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

I've just been to a manor house in the next village from me to quote for grinding out 12 large pines. My French mate is the tree surgeon who's doing the felling, met up with him then another chap who will be coming in to remove the wood by horse. I've only ever seen horse logging once in my previous village, looking down at the River Charente from my garden where they were skidding the trunks out. Absolutely mesmerising watching these beautiful creatures working. I'm really looking forward to working on the same ground as this chap. I've attached his business card, easy enough to Google translate, to show his horse. Hopefully I can get some photos in February whilst they work. 

20210109_175010.jpg

Its so good to see them working David,to see man and animal working together,my grandad used to work horses on local farms and then do a bit of logging in the winter months with them,they were his life he thought the world of them

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Very low impact , bit slow and traditional , but if its a Protected site , can do a lot worse than get horses in . K

It's a manorhouse built in two stages, Khriss, one section before the Revolution,  then the second afterwards. Not a big parcel of ground, maybe 7000 sq mts. Tree surgeon, like a lot of French, will be using a cherry picker,  I get the idea that the owner of the house just likes watching a traditional method of extraction. Good for him.

• Like 1

Horses have there place.  I agree, it is great to see them working.

One of the guys I work with in the Oslo area, he often uses them when he can't get his timber lorry in.

Yes he did straight fell the trees with all the cars there...  straight down the middle.

IMG_7551.jpeg

IMG_7550.jpeg

IMG_7552.jpeg

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, Bob_z_l said:

Please do. I saw some working at Bentley Wood Fair years ago.
Mrs has horses and to see someone working horses while being looked after makes me as happy as anything.

This is slightly off topic,  but as you like horses,  I found this on my Regimental FB page. Taken at the Lancashire Show in 1927. And no, contrary to what some on here think, I wasn't there, I ain't that old.

104287912_3088023027993608_7122447510252582557_o.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, David Cropper said:

This is slightly off topic,  but as you like horses,  I found this on my Regimental FB page. Taken at the Lancashire Show in 1927. And no, contrary to what some on here think, I wasn't there, I ain't that old.

104287912_3088023027993608_7122447510252582557_o.jpg

Lancers?

Grandfather was 17/21st Died after they crossed the Arno.

2 Uncles both 17/21st too. Both now gone.

Nice pic. 

Cheers

• Like 1