Horse logging.

David Cropper

2 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Very interesting day with the two Percherons brought in to drag the timber off the client's property. Mainly brash today but tomorrow will be the trunks,  unfortunately I'm going back to grind out the remaining stumps on Wednesday so will miss that. Beautiful animals. Really steady and calm.

20210301_181308.jpg

20210301_150310.jpg

20210301_182731.jpg

20210301_115830.jpg

20210301_182038.jpg

Brilliant love to see horses working

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gary112 said:

Brilliant love to see horses working

Gary, it was a real pleasure to go to work today. I was the only Brit there, at 1200, everybody from the client, tree surgeon,  horse handlers and the horses, wrapped it in for grub. Only the daft Englishman carried on another two hours. About 1500, the tree surgeon sidled up to.me and asked if I wanted a beer! He then went back to work cutting. It's a different world here!

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Gary, it was a real pleasure to go to work today. I was the only Brit there, at 1200, everybody from the client, tree surgeon,  horse handlers and the horses, wrapped it in for grub. Only the daft Englishman carried on another two hours. About 1500, the tree surgeon sidled up to.me and asked if I wanted a beer! He then went back to work cutting. It's a different world here!

There was a chap on countryfile last night horse logging. Maybe on BBC catchup and looks a great way to work david.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

There was a chap on countryfile last night horse logging. Maybe on BBC catchup and looks a great way to work david.

Horses as a working animal can be a great thing Les, but it’s the 365 days a year morning noon and night commitment that’s the hard part. Be great if the demand was actually there to justify keeping a good working pair, maybe not as big as those percherons mind. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Horses as a working animal can be a great thing Les, but it’s the 365 days a year morning noon and night commitment that’s the hard part. Be great if the demand was actually there to justify keeping a good working pair, maybe not as big as those percherons mind. 

Not a 100 yards from me a good mate breads and keeps welsh mountain ponies. Phil and his lad have won the royal welsh twice over the last few years which gives great credit as a breeder. One or the other pop in before going to work 6am and they call in evening time every day and its a huge commitment as you say. 

Edited by topchippyles

2 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Not a 100 yards from me a good mate breads and keeps welsh mountain ponies. Phil and his lad have won the royal welsh twice over the last few years which gives great credit as a breeder. One or the other pop in before going to work 6am and they call in evening time every day and its a huge commitment as you say. 

My sisters preferred breed has been for many years Hackney/Welsh cob cross, all breeding stock was sourced from one farmer on the gower peninsula. Great mix of speed and stamina, she competed at international level in Horse driving trials so the guy obviously knew his horses. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Stunning part of wales and can imagine the quality of the breed.You keep horses your self ? 

No Les 

I was brought up with them always being around, Appleby was  on the calendar every year. We used them for work on the beaches to recover coal so familiar with horses in harness as opposed to ridden.  I saw then how much bloody hard work they were lol. Like I say my sister has never stopped with them, pony club to show jumping to horse driving trials. Mind you as I get older I can sort of see the attraction to having a good working pair in the woods on a cold spring morning, actually hold that thought cos that pair will need feeding and mucking out all winter too every single day 🙄

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

No Les 

I was brought up with them always being around, Appleby was  on the calendar every year. We used them for work on the beaches to recover coal so familiar with horses in harness as opposed to ridden.  I saw then how much bloody hard work they were lol. Like I say my sister has never stopped with them, pony club to show jumping to horse driving trials. Mind you as I get older I can sort of see the attraction to having a good working pair in the woods on a cold spring morning, actually hold that thought cos that pair will need feeding and mucking out all winter too every single day 🙄

How times change. Your always milling stuff so it that what you do alongside tree work or just hobby/part time thing.