Band tension

gobbypunk

So I changed the band on my new mill from the one that came on it to Ripper 37 and set the band tension to where the little diagram said to and now the mill is vibrating quite a lot and the handle for the tension is rattling loose has anyone else had this if so did you use a torque wrench and what setting did you use 

Thanks Mark

So I changed the band on my new mill from the one that came on it to Ripper 37 and set the band tension to where the little diagram said to and now the mill is vibrating quite a lot and the handle for the tension is rattling loose has anyone else had this if so did you use a torque wrench and what setting did you use 
Thanks Mark

Can’t you just crank the tension up some more? Add another half turn or a full turn past optimum.

When I had wavey cutting with my Logosol this was the official response. I don’t even look at the indicator now, just do it all by feel.

Does sound like somethings not built right though. [emoji37]

4 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks Mark

SAWMILL MAINTENANCE 1. BLADE TENSION Proper blade tension is achieved when a 24mm socket is used on a torque wrench to tighten the “T” handle to 25 ft-lbs (34 N-m) torque. Make sure the spring washers are installed like the picture below. Will be the same as the hm130 

hm130 portable sawmill owner's manual hm130 - Woodland ..

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 1

On 23/12/2020 at 11:04, gobbypunk said:

Hi Les in the manual with my new max there isnt a torque setting I did wonder if it would be the same as my old one and my wrench is prob still set at 25 ft_lbs will give it a go after Crimbo off to Radstock to get some racking with a mate today 

Remember to never leave a Torque Wrench loaded for extended periods of time, always wind it down to the minimum setting or you'll get a set in the spring and your readings will be off. 

I doubt for such an application like setting the tension on a Bandsaw it will affect it that much but if you come to torque down a cylinder head later it could well do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Remember to never leave a Torque Wrench loaded for extended periods of time, always wind it down to the minimum setting or you'll get a set in the spring and your readings will be off. 

I doubt for such an application like setting the tension on a Bandsaw it will affect it that much but if you come to torque down a cylinder head later it could well do. 

I got myself a set of those digital torque reader things that you put between the bar and the socket. No idea how good they are as not had call to use them yet.

• Like 1