Which plunge saw?

difflock

Some really useful helpful answers there folks.

I would probably err towards the 18V Matika, except it would be my first Matika, although if a body wanted to expand their tool/toy collection, the variety of tools available running off 18V batteries Matika would be hard to ignore.

Interesting the comment re a plunge saw doing most everything a table saw does, which just could nudge me towards the Mafell, since I only got a wee combi chopsaw/table saw.

Thanks all,

Marcus

P.S.

I finally bought a pressure washer!

Some really useful helpful answers there folks.
I would probably err towards the 18V Matika, except it would be my first Matika, although if a body wanted to expand their tool/toy collection, the variety of tools available running off 18V batteries Matika would be hard to ignore.
Interesting the comment re a plunge saw doing most everything a table saw does, which just could nudge me towards the Mafell, since I only got a wee combi chopsaw/table saw.
Thanks all,
Marcus
P.S.
I finally bought a pressure washer!

The mafell would certainly be top choice. All track saws are a fair some of money if they aren’t a tool of your trade.
In all honesty chap you could buy any of the big brands. Makita dewalt Bosch hitachi etc and they will all do a great job and exactly what you want.

One important thing is look at what you have already or what you might want and invest in one brand so it’s all interchangeable and you don’t need lots of batteries and chargers.

I’ve not looked at the makita 40v platform yet. That’s pretty new to the market

18 hours ago, difflock said:

I take some pleasure in decent tools.

Yep, nothing worse than buying rubbish...I've also been looking into this for some time.. watched as much comparison stuff as I can but I kind of got stuck in the usual quagmire of indecision... apart from as others have said that the Mafell is head and shoulders above the rest.

But as my main use will be to get a straight edge on milled boards the 55mm max depth of cut  that most of these are limited to is less than ideal for such an expensive tool much in the same way that a table saw really needs to be able to clear 3" timber, imo.

The Festool TS 75 seems to be the only plunge saw the offers a deeper cut, much more useful from my point of view...but at £700 and only with one 1.4m track it's awful costly particularly as I've read some negative reviews regarding quality.

I've been thinking that it might be easier to modify a normal circular saw to run on a track although I wouldn't expect to be able to achieve the fine finishing cut that seems to be the USP of a proper plunge saw.   Cheers.

31 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

I've been thinking that it might be easier to modify a normal circular saw to run on a track

Ok, so not trying to derail the thread, but for anyone with similar needs to me regarding achieving a straight edge on milled slabs it turns out that large Makita circular saws like this can be run on their track system with an adapter... possibly other brands as well....£500 less and no doubt about quality.

WWW.HOWETOOLS.CO.UK

Free next working day delivery on MAKITA HS0600 (240v Circular saw - 270mm blade) with no-quibble returns and full...

Edited by Macpherson
detail
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, difflock said:

I knew I had seen a 75mm deep cut plunge saw somewhere

Yes, it seems that things have changed a lot since my last look about a year ago...Mafell also now do one with an 85mm plunge but it's well over a grand.

That Scheppach looks more reasonably priced.. My Stihl dealer sells this brand and from what I've seen of they're other tools which are at least above average I recon it might be worth a look but if it's so much cheaper maybe it's not in the same league, cheers.

7 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Yes, it seems that things have changed a lot since my last look about a year ago...Mafell also now do one with an 85mm plunge but it's well over a grand.

That Scheppach looks more reasonably priced.. My Stihl dealer sells this brand and from what I've seen of they're other tools which are at least above average I recon it might be worth a look but if it's so much cheaper maybe it's not in the same league, cheers.

I never quite knew what to make of the Scheppach brand, having seen various reviews and remarks praising their quality, but myself being wary of how this could be right in light of their relatively low cost.

Horses for courses I suppose!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

All my tools are festool and never had a problem. Had them 20 years now and the saw and guide rail are the best out there, never heard nor read a negative review until on here. It comes with a 3 year warranty and if it gets stolen then they used to replace it for £100 not sure if its still happening. Festool were the first with the guide rail and all the rest just copied it. You would need to get the 230v one because of the power, I have the battery one. fwiw

They did have an amazing reputation but think its waning. My mate uses a few Festool tools. He has quite a lot of problems but they are still excellent about warrantees but its still a pain being without tools while they are being fixed. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Macpherson said:

Ok, so not trying to derail the thread, but for anyone with similar needs to me regarding achieving a straight edge on milled slabs it turns out that large Makita circular saws like this can be run on their track system with an adapter... possibly other brands as well....£500 less and no doubt about quality.

WWW.HOWETOOLS.CO.UK

Free next working day delivery on MAKITA HS0600 (240v Circular saw - 270mm blade) with no-quibble returns and full...

Cracking saw (One bigger than that in the Makita range too if you are a masochist) and yeah it adapts to the rail. I’ve got one and whilst it’s not an everyday pick up tool it is good when needed. Be aware to keep hold of it pretty firmly. I’m lazy with my small cordless and often go one handed but that size saw kicks like a bitch if it gets a bite and you are not holding it properly. Makita all day for corded and De Walt for the battery stuff works for  me. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 2