Work 🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

SamanthaSunny

4 hours ago, SamanthaSunny said:

if you were me which saw would you buy ? And where from ? 

If you want a decent saw on the island go to Mike Garwoods (case tractor dealers) and speak to Steve or Tim. There on the roundabout just past vectawarm on newport industrial estate, they sell Stihl gear and carry a good range of saws and spares. if you want husky or echo try Albany garden machinery on forest road. Most local tree teams use Garwoods as the spares back up and service is probably the best locally 

both of those will also have some basic ppe in stock but basic and being in it 5 plus days a week basic isn’t always best but will get you started.

as to a file kit, you want one to fit your saw and get good with it, always turn up with a sharp saw other wise you might as well be carrying a small plastic spoon

• Thanks 1

Actually that's spot on, never ever turn up with a blunt saw.

50cc ground saw Sam. Either Stihl 261 or Husqvarna 550xp, the femalelumberjack reviewed them and they are both good saws, she preferred the feel of the Stihl as rear handle a bit smaller so you might find the same. Ideally hold them both to try the balance.

Personally I wouldn't rush into the saw, but PPE will be good. If you don't have your own helmet and gloves you might be given some manky spare ones. I wear Showa 310 as they cost slightly more than most work gloves but last so much better - everyone will have a different idea on this one though but not leather type ones as they are so rubbish in the wet.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Will C said:

If you want a decent saw on the island go to Mike Garwoods (case tractor dealers) and speak to Steve or Tim. There on the roundabout just past vectawarm on newport industrial estate, they sell Stihl gear and carry a good range of saws and spares. if you want husky or echo try Albany garden machinery on forest road. Most local tree teams use Garwoods as the spares back up and service is probably the best locally 

both of those will also have some basic ppe in stock but basic and being in it 5 plus days a week basic isn’t always best but will get you started.

as to a file kit, you want one to fit your saw and get good with it, always turn up with a sharp saw other wise you might as well be carrying a small plastic spoon

Thankyou Will that’s brilliant 😁 I had no idea we had anything like that on the Island so I will take a trip tomorrow 👍🏻 What chainsaw does your wife use ? Does she enjoy the job Will 🙂 

45 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Actually that's spot on, never ever turn up with a blunt saw.

50cc ground saw Sam. Either Stihl 261 or Husqvarna 550xp, the femalelumberjack reviewed them and they are both good saws, she preferred the feel of the Stihl as rear handle a bit smaller so you might find the same. Ideally hold them both to try the balance.

Personally I wouldn't rush into the saw, but PPE will be good. If you don't have your own helmet and gloves you might be given some manky spare ones. I wear Showa 310 as they cost slightly more than most work gloves but last so much better - everyone will have a different idea on this one though but not leather type ones as they are so rubbish in the wet.

I assumed I would HAVE to own my own chainsaw straight away to be a groundie Dan 😬 was I wrong ? I know I need the PPE and wee bits but I thought you had to bring your own saw. I would rather holdback on that big purchase until I have made sure I’m up to the job so that would be good news if I could lend their stuff for a wee while. I have heard great reviews on Arbtalk about the Stihl chainsaws 🙂 thanks again Dan 👍🏻

31 minutes ago, SamanthaSunny said:

Thankyou Will that’s brilliant 😁 I had no idea we had anything like that on the Island so I will take a trip tomorrow 👍🏻 What chainsaw does your wife use ? Does she enjoy the job Will 🙂 

We have a range of sizes depending on the job, as a groundie any thing up to 50cc will do most things (any bigger you are lugging extra weight that’s not needed), the 261 is a nice size that will do felling work as well.

or if you want really light a back handle 201 is good but a little pricey to start but they do punch well above there weight.
Equally don’t be put off by the 200 and 220 battery saws, there great for basic ground work but won’t keep up with a 261 etc when you start a felling 15inch plus stems. bear in mind you won’t have fuel cost which can offset some of the purchase cost but you will want 2 batteries For a full day and that may struggle if you need to ring a stem up at end of the day.

if you can afford to Look at the pro saws (of any brand) they will cost you more but last longer giving better value for money longer term -unless budget dictates avoid the 170 & 180 range of stihls, they are throw away homeowner.

There are equal husky or echo saws but I don’t know them as we deal with the Stihl dealer but that doesn’t mean they are not worth a look.

My Sam will work with all our saws as needed, lighter the better, big saw for big jobs but no need to knacker your self lugging a big saw about when it’s not needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's going to depend on the firm, the people I sub to have quite a few part time groundies who turn up with no power tools. I also climb so bring my own climbing kit and I prefer my own saws which I bring every day sharp and full of fuel.

You don't have saw tickets yet so it's also going to be kind of discretionary as to how much chainsaw work they let you do. There is a lot of dragging and chipping branches, carrying wood and raking to do, some days I do no sawing at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I wouldn't worry too much about buying a saw just now Sam, your new boss will have one already!

If you're going to spend any money at all, spend it on decent PPE. Priority for me would be a comfy, well fitted helmet with chipper ear protection

This should have applied to another situation using PPE with a good fitted helmet. No  wonder i have 5 kids 🤣🤣 

• Haha 1