Calling all Camp Gyro users

Paddy1000111

2 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Do you have a link to evidence of the case involving the farmer?

Its on HSE website case files they have prosecuted. There is another farmer who had inexperience lad do same thing for him, hurt himself and farmer got nailed for it. K

I don't no. It was a farmer, not exactly news paper stuff although loads of local companies have had similar fines:

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/firm-fined-100000-after-death-1089977

Instead if "inadequate edge protection" you could read "Inadequate fall protection" and imagine the 100k coming out of your pocket. Total cost with fees £111,060.40. Personally, I'd rather use a second rope and things take 5 minutes longer than have to pay out on that.

Out of interest, where would that put you if you had a freelancer working for you that was a "I've been doing this for x years, I climb on 1 rope, 2 ropes hold me back" I suppose as the employer you're liable? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Its on HSE website case files they have prosecuted. There is another farmer who had inexperience lad do same thing for him, hurt himself and farmer got nailed for it. K

Again, nothing like the tale told of "single employee of limited Co farm" 

10 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Again, nothing like the tale told of "single employee of limited Co farm" 

Tell you what  - i will pack in the useful stuff i have planned for my day and chase around the web finding and fact checking everything i post, yr Onour,   the value of anectdotal evidence is that it may, and should, provoke further enquiry so its improving yr standing or further refining  yr knowledge. K

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Tell you what  - i will pack in the useful stuff i have planned for my day and chase around the web finding and fact checking everything i post, yr Onour,   the value of anectdotal evidence is that it may, and should, provoke further enquiry so its improving yr standing or further refining  yr knowledge. K

Please do.

It was make a change from you posting your usual Bollocks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Please do.

It was make a change from you posting your usual Bollocks.

To be fair to Khriss I really don't see what the problem is with this 2 rope thing? It's obviously different in Norway but in the UK it is the law that if you are climbing at work you need two ropes? It's not a preference it's law. 

If you have an accident, be it by yourself for your own company or whilst working for someone else you can be charged by hse for it with an unlimited fine and/or jail time? By all means prove me and khriss wrong and show me an exemption from the law for people who are the sole worker of a ltd company, or even a sole trader for that fact. 

It's all very well and good saying "I work by myself for myself" but if you fall out a tree and go to claim on insurance because you're going to be out of work for the next x amount of months, the first thing any insurer will ask for is a copy of the incident report. 

I really don't get the argument here? Either you follow the law or there is some weird exemption and we can all go back to single rope. The only argument for single rope is it's slightly more convenient? 

Edited by Paddy1000111

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

To be fair to Khriss I really don't see what the problem is with this 2 rope thing? It's obviously different in Norway but in the UK it is the law that if you are climbing at work you need two ropes? It's not a preference it's law. 

If you have an accident, be it by yourself for your own company or whilst working for someone else you can be charged by hse for it with an unlimited fine and/or jail time? By all means prove me and khriss wrong and show me an exemption from the law for people who are the sole worker of a ltd company, or even a sole trader for that fact. 

It's all very well and good saying "I work by myself for myself" but if you fall out a tree and go to claim on insurance because you're going to be out of work for the next x amount of months, the first thing any insurer will ask for is a copy of the incident report. 

I really don't get the argument here? Either you follow the law or there is some weird exemption and we can all go back to single rope

I never mentioned working with one or two ropes, I simply didn't believe your story. I seem to recall you having similar stories regarding freelancers and insurance.

I've been climbing for over 25 years, run a limited Co for 21 years, in that time I've had 3 accidents requiring hospitalisation. What you claim simply does not ring true with my personal experience.

As for insurance, how many people have personal accident insurance? I know I don't. And my employers and public liability insurance doesn't cover me if I injury myself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skyhuck said:

I've been climbing for over 25 years, run a limited Co for 21 years, in that time I've had 3 accidents requiring hospitalisation. What you claim simply does not ring true with my personal experience.

So you've had 3 incidents that were caused by a blatant breach in HSe guidelines and you've not once been charged?