Calling all Camp Gyro users

Paddy1000111

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Do 2 ropes impact on your efficiency at all ( is it a pain in the arse ) ? Genuine question .

Depends on the climber Mr Stubby. If yr a climber who gets on the job abt 0900, sits in van whilst it rains a bit then expect to bugger off at 2PM, then no  ☺️ K

• Like 1

Well it's all fun and games until it goes wrong and you have a fall or someone working for you has a fall. There was a farmer in my area who was working on the roof of his barn. His farm is a Ltd company and he is the only employee. He slipped and fell off the roof, ended up with a broken hip and some other stuff iirc. HSe sued him for 60k for incorrect working practices even though he was the boss and he was the only employee and it was his barn. I know everyone thinks that HSe is a ghost in the background that only rears its head in big companies but they also enjoy shafting the little man.

Personally I don't think it really slows me down. I have the utility rods and I can usually put up two ropes in one go on two separate branches. If anything I am probably more efficient as it gives me a piece of mind that will probably bite me in the ass at some point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, htb said:

Must have bloody long pole to set a rope in large trees.

30ft in poles. I'm not on about setting a final anchor with them but it's quicker to fire up 2 ropes, SRT on one of them and ddrt on the other so I have a main and backup. Progress the anchor to where I need it, job done. 

If I am working on big trees then throwline it is

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Personally, I love the gyro. It’s a great bit of kit. I can see why people might want it to be a little beefier. But I actually quite like it’s small, compact design. 

I originally set it up with a petzl roll carabiner connected to the bridge as the wear on the ring is a concern for me. But for me it pushed my system out too far for my liking so knowing it’s stainless rather than ally does reassure me a little that it’s going to last a while longer. 
the grommets supplied are Swiss cheese and has since been replaced with dmm ones. 

C71BD1A4-0E59-41F6-A1B1-2CBFFD9515B1.jpeg

On 29/01/2021 at 21:57, mikedrums69 said:

Personally, I love the gyro. It’s a great bit of kit. I can see why people might want it to be a little beefier. But I actually quite like it’s small, compact design. 

I originally set it up with a petzl roll carabiner connected to the bridge as the wear on the ring is a concern for me. But for me it pushed my system out too far for my liking so knowing it’s stainless rather than ally does reassure me a little that it’s going to last a while longer. 
the grommets supplied are Swiss cheese and has since been replaced with dmm ones. 

C71BD1A4-0E59-41F6-A1B1-2CBFFD9515B1.jpeg

Dmm grommets? Link please?!

I've just put adhesive lined heat shrink on bottom of the two carabiners I use with it. I quite like not having to squeeze the carabiner out of the grommet now

On 19/12/2020 at 21:15, Paddy1000111 said:

Well it's all fun and games until it goes wrong and you have a fall or someone working for you has a fall. There was a farmer in my area who was working on the roof of his barn. His farm is a Ltd company and he is the only employee. He slipped and fell off the roof, ended up with a broken hip and some other stuff iirc. HSe sued him for 60k for incorrect working practices even though he was the boss and he was the only employee and it was his barn. I know everyone thinks that HSe is a ghost in the background that only rears its head in big companies but they also enjoy shafting the little man.

Personally I don't think it really slows me down. I have the utility rods and I can usually put up two ropes in one go on two separate branches. If anything I am probably more efficient as it gives me a piece of mind that will probably bite me in the ass at some point. 

Do you have a link to evidence of the case involving the farmer?