Chain oil not coming onto the bar ??

Al Slitter

One of my roles that was forced onto me was funeral services on behalf of the council ☹️ I mark where graves must be dug and I am personally responsible if it’s wrong [emoji51] I then return once they are dug to measure the hole the gravediggers have excavated and test the wooden platforms around the burial site because that’s what all four pole bearers stand on. Sometimes for a Laugh the grave diggers balance them badly so I fall in 🤦🏻‍♀️ Bloody long drop if it’s a triple grave. I then wait for the coffin to arrive and have to stand graveside incase anyone injures themselves and want to claim from the council. I HATE this part of my job because it’s heartbreaking and I have had to attend hundreds of burials listening to about how lovely the person that died was and hold people up when they are crying. I want to hug them all and give them tea ☹️ It’s rewarding but can effect you deeply. Especially the young ones, suicide victims families and a few that were murdered. I’m a pisces so take on the pain around me. I am used to it now but the odd one still gets to me. I am definitely being cremated and would NOT want my children crying in a cold cemetery [emoji51]

**** that.
Would drive me nuts!
Get in to arb darling.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, spudulike said:

Sounds a bit more than grim. The guy seemed pretty happy it was working again. He was digging the holes with a spade as he had the view that using a mini digger didn't seem respectful - funny old places grave yards....you find yourself talking to the graves - cleared a few fallen tree branches from our local church!

Gosh I talk to the people in the graves I’m working around and it makes you feel a better person if you show respect. I just hope no ghost follows me home 😬 I don’t understand why he would dig a grave with a spade 🤔 it would take hours and how on earth does he get back out 😁 he must be superhuman !!! Sounds like he’s a good person though. There are some beautiful birds and animals in cemeteries and the red squirrels are in abundance. I remember I was at a burial under a tree once and two squirrels we’re running around the bark of a tree trying to catch each other. We all started giggling because it distracted the vicar 🙂 really sweet, we currently have 20 trees in Northwood Cemetery that have been marked for felling or taking down because of disease. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

**** that.
Would drive me nuts!
Get in to arb darling.
emoji106.pngemoji106.pngemoji106.png

You honestly get used to burials x it’s being in the room where they cremate that haunts me. The ovens have windows and I made the mistake of looking as I past them once 😬😬😬😬😬 did you know when your brain burns the fire is blue !!!! Now you see why I want to be a tree surgeon lol 😂 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2020 at 19:35, spudulike said:

I once repaired a Honda drainage pump for a grave digger......one of the weirder things I have had in!

Worked really well once the carb had been overhauled!

Yep had many hole flood did a child one years back this time of year it was like tide was coming in water was spring up from below mind changed now since had land drains run through as that side was like sponge grass looked ok till walked on then "Soft"

Did an adult on end of a row where it has a slight decline but was a fault in soil just finished went back to shed and lady came along and said it's all fallen in!

Went along where fault was like a band of mixed stone and crap plus get water build up in previous rows which push down into new plots!

Mind yonks back one of the guys was digging one and next door collapsed in it was a female buried there and her arm came through round his leg! you never seen a Grown man jump so high and fast forget gold Platinum medal put the shits up him for sure! ole John was a funny bod used to go to all the sex/wife swapping/swinger parties you name but that dampened him down. Said hey John go get your coat you pulled!

• Like 1

One i was at is a Muslim one a lot is in shrouds but some coffins.

We have one lot that always cocked the measurements up plus it would grow each time they rung up!

plots are norm 20" across but have room to go wider as a round nearly 6ft from marker to markers/centres

Had one to do one day which was in between rows as a spare one did it was 7ft odd and 38" wide all done by hand took three turns to get it in hole as bit wider than they said yet again plus they never allow for handles! but was always going to be "tight" as right on limits of others coming through esp if they was wide!.

But got it in there in end see his wife and Daughters odd times when go to see friend who runs it but wifes getting on now really nice family and we still laugh about it she is German he was Pakistani she said bet he was laughing his socks off up there as said he was always a Funny type.

Had some nice people and some not nice turn up. plus tragic burials one was a whole family burnt they all went into a special plot like a big square.

Only two things you can't avoid! Taxman and death

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

Yep had many hole flood did a child one years back this time of year it was like tide was coming in water was spring up from below mind changed now since had land drains run through as that side was like sponge grass looked ok till walked on then "Soft"

Did an adult on end of a row where it has a slight decline but was a fault in soil just finished went back to shed and lady came along and said it's all fallen in!

Went along where fault was like a band of mixed stone and crap plus get water build up in previous rows which push down into new plots!

Mind yonks back one of the guys was digging one and next door collapsed in it was a female buried there and her arm came through round his leg! you never seen a Grown man jump so high and fast forget gold Platinum medal put the shits up him for sure! ole John was a funny bod used to go to all the sex/wife swapping/swinger parties you name but that dampened him down. Said hey John go get your coat you pulled!

Poor wee parents eh 😢 are you a grave digger then ? Or do you just do the odd one 🙂 it sounds terrible when we make light of graves but if you don’t try to distract yourself then you would end up in one earlier than you expect through a broken heart. I chat away to the grave diggers before every funeral to distract myself until the coffin actually arrives. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AngrySquirrel said:

One i was at is a Muslim one a lot is in shrouds but some coffins.

We have one lot that always cocked the measurements up plus it would grow each time they rung up!

plots are norm 20" across but have room to go wider as a round nearly 6ft from marker to markers/centres

Had one to do one day which was in between rows as a spare one did it was 7ft odd and 38" wide all done by hand took three turns to get it in hole as bit wider than they said yet again plus they never allow for handles! but was always going to be "tight" as right on limits of others coming through esp if they was wide!.

But got it in there in end see his wife and Daughters odd times when go to see friend who runs it but wifes getting on now really nice family and we still laugh about it she is German he was Pakistani she said bet he was laughing his socks off up there as said he was always a Funny type.

Had some nice people and some not nice turn up. plus tragic burials one was a whole family burnt they all went into a special plot like a big square.

Only two things you can't avoid! Taxman and death

Gosh he must of been a big chap if the length was seven feet and thirty eight wide 😮 I have a muslins burial tomorrow with an open coffin and the family will be filling the grave in slowly by themselves. They treat their dead with such love. I measure our graves an hour before the funeral so there is time to take more out of needed but we have had problems when the coffin is actually an American casket and it’s a squeeze 😬

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SamanthaSunny said:

Gosh he must of been a big chap if the length was seven feet and thirty eight wide 😮 I have a muslins burial tomorrow with an open coffin and the family will be filling the grave in slowly by themselves. They treat their dead with such love. I measure our graves an hour before the funeral so there is time to take more out of needed but we have had problems when the coffin is actually an American casket and it’s a squeeze 😬

Years ago I was at eurodisney with the ex wife and kids. We were approached at the entrance by a guy selling time shares. He wanted to take us for a tour of the nearby timeshare appartments and for an hour of our time he offered us a 100 euro voucher to spend at eurodisney. Seemed too good to be true but figured we would chance it. Sure enough, we sat through a short presentation, then had a walk through of one of the apartments, said we weren't interested, and they handed us 100 euro voucher, happy days

Anyway, during the tour when we were in the bathroom he made a comment that they made the bath tubs extra wide for their american customers. My ex had kept reasonably quiet throughout the whole thing and he hadn't picked up on the fact she was a yank 😀

• Haha 1