560xp not starting, spark OK

mirecc

Just now, Stubby said:

My mate had a 3 wheeler Morgan with the British Anzani V twin engine in it . That was a cracker !

Here we go OT again ?

I never saw one of those but a chap used to park one by the school and then commute to london by train, about 63, it had a JAP Vee twin with valve gear all exposed, I imagine it was a bit of a handful.

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Here we go OT again ?

I never saw one of those but a chap used to park one by the school and then commute to london by train, about 63, it had a JAP Vee twin with valve gear all exposed, I imagine it was a bit of a handful.

The British Anzani was an 8 valve 1098cc V twin . Lovely engine .  Any way love watching the Cooper Nortons at the Goodwood Revival . Its a thunderous sound ! 

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

Sounds like the stuff we put in model aeroplane engines.

That formula the Cooper JAP was that the 500CC class that teams would buy Manx Nortons and rob the engines out, leaving the featherbed frames for people who wanted to upgrade their triumphs to Tritons?, Just a bit before my time.

Model aircraft and tree climbing sort of go together don't they. Manx Nortons were £ 465 back then and the same again for Francis Beart to tune it. My Morgan Late 1950,at the bottom of Star Hill.

IMG_0001.jpg

Edited by Deafhead
Include picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Deafhead said:

Model aircraft and tree climbing sort of go together don't they.

Yeah , retrieved a few before and after, drones nowadays I suspect.

13 minutes ago, Deafhead said:

Manx Nortons were £ 465 back then and the same again for Francis Beart to tune it.

Gone up a hundred times for a new reproduction then.

UPDATE: after I have aqired some internet wisdom, I have checked "impulse channel" and cleaned whole carb. No visible scoring on piston skirt/ cylinder walls. All my older saws had actual impulse line so i thought that maybe membrane is somehow actuated by electronics (stupid me) on this one. So most likely it is not holding vacuum. Need to make some blanks and test it tomorrow. Probably I will buy crank seals right away when I'll be in town and change them anyway. Hope that will sort this.

Good to hear the piston seems to be ok, not to throw a spanner in the works but there are special tools to fit the seals, they are not as easy as the old saws, the drive side seal fits into the bearing itself so you need a sleeve to stop it catching on the inner part of the bearing, the flywheel side also sits on the bearing inner with outside in the crankcase so again easy to catch it and hook the spring out.

• Like 1

RESOLUTION: Bought and changed both crank seals(pressed on with rolled plastic foil in middle to prevent spring from catching on inner race) and gapped magneto(coil). Primed the bubble, choke on and it puffed right away. One more pull and it was fast idling. Thanks for help guys.

Edited by mirecc
  • Like 4

14 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Good news! Always good to have feedback and a resolution. Something that most people forget to post! 

..... Now go off n mix yr fuel to 45:1  Stihl red under a waning moon, with a dab of holy water on the plug. Or whatever these  bloody saws need to keep going past the  warranty ?  K

• Haha 1