Looking Free logs best to contact local businesses direct?

KeithL

I’m looking for free gin if there are any distilleries local that just happen to be giving it away??

Sorry if that sounds a bit sarky but you should understand that logs are a finished product and have a value. If you are prepared to collect wood from site, or have it dropped at a convenient location and give someone money to cover fuel costs, and accept that it will be green wood, probably softwood, then you might get something free. But you’ll still have to saw and split it then season it too.

• Like 10

Get your self on the tip site and or talk to local businesses.  You just have to make it worth their while, as they aren't charities, but there are some out there that want shot of wood, generally softwood, but don't assume that will happen.

I.e. first ask for green wood (not logs) then see what they are willing to give them to you for.  My local arrangement consists of exchange for wine and done when it is convenient for him.  I'm one of his tip sites for the wood he does not want.

• Like 2

I ask some of my customers for a bit of firewood once in a while. I am lucky that I am in a position to barter - a saw service for wood etc but in your case you will need to give your friendly arb type a good drink. 

I never ask for and would never expect although some have offered processed, seasoned wood/logs but do accept rings or lengths of green wood straight after cutting and many will find it useful to get rid of a load or two especially soft wood - it all burns!! Expect to have a chainsaw to cut it and an axe to split it - hope you have this and a strong back!

Probably best to look around for local guys working in your area and have a friendly chat or look at businesses close to where you want the wood dropped off. Most round here just tip it off for biomass at £5 per tonne unless they have there own barn and land to process it in to logs! Just be prepared to give them a bit of cash for a load and also to put some work in processing the timber!

• Like 3

I'm with the other answers here, you won't get anything for free. Sort of.

You might get stuff free to you if it makes sense to do so, for example I got a transit van of logs the other day because that tree surgeon was on the way to the tip, and dropped them off to avoid paying the comercial rate at the tip - financialy better for him. So if it is convenient for their jobs I get logs.

The next thing to consider is that for free you can rarely pick and choose what you want. Currently I have a load of Scotts Pine to cut and split and a load of Laylandi.. I doubt I willever get oak, thorn or fruit trees for free. Going back to the argument of the giver getting a deal, it might cost almost as much to process as it would that you can sell them for for a small amount of wood, less hassle and cheaper to ti it somewhere.

My other source of logs is tipped down the road and I have to collect it, extra hassle but I get the odd hard wood, often have to dig it out of a pile of wood chip.

So if you are willing to accept that 'free' is really meaning costing less for the tree surgeons and what goes with that you shold be OK. If you ask the right way you should get some, and be prepared to put in the work to add value to go from a tree to a log on the fire

• Like 2

I drop to several locals to me, none of them care what the wood is and the nicer ones get the odd bit of nice wood too. Generally i ask for £15 for a pickup full of logs of various length needing processing. The nice ones chuck us a 4pack of beer occasionally too so they get preference when we have hardwood on board.
I have a couple that we cut to 8” length ready for splitting and they pay £50 a pickup full (6ft x 5ft bed stacked up to the greedy boards)

• Like 3

Jeez some of you gents come over as grumbly, angry guys.

To the OP, get a listing on the tip site and yes contact all your local tree guys.  If you see them working nearby and can speak to them that may be best.  There are plenty that don't do firewood and just want rid of any arb waste as quickly,  easily and cheaply as possible.  Make it easy for them, don't be too picky (take the softwood), take the wood delivery as soon as offered (they need it off the truck before the next day's job), and take all of it (you need the saws capable of dealing with big crotches etc).

Alternatively you may find one that tips at/outside their  yard and you need to collect.  Here you can be choosey, pick the straight grained hardwood rings, but don't make a mess of the pile, and don't be awkward/block people in etc.

I have had all my wood for 5 years from one guy I collect from. I've tried putting cash in his hands and offering beer/wine/chocolate but he won't accept.... He sees me as doing him a favour.  This year I've not used him for more than 1 or 2 car loads.  The rest (a lot) came from two other guys that I spotted working closely in lockdown 1, many of the normal tip sites weren't open so they jumped when I said I'd take it all, and by being good to them I got more and more.  When my neighbour wanted 2 oaks down guess who's numbers I gave him...I made sure to let him know how he got the job and I told him, 'just leave all the wood next door, I'll take a fence panel down and shift it myself'....4m3 of oak that I'm currently splitting and stacking.

Yes you can get arb waste for free, but ask nicely and be helpful..... And be prepared to not get any for years and then get loads!

Edited by neiln
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeez some of you gents come over as grumbly, angry guys.

To the OP, get a listing on the tip site and yes contact all your local tree guys.  If you see them working nearby and can speak to them that may be best.  There are plenty that don't do firewood and just want rid of any arb v waste as quickly,  easily and cheaply as possible.  Make it easy for them, don't be too picky (take the softwood), take the wood delivery as soon as offered (they need it off the truck before the next day's job), and take all of it (you need the saws capable of dealing with big crotches etc).

Alternatively you may find one that tips at/outside their  yard and you need to collect.  Here you can be choosey, pick the straight grained hardwood rings, but don't make a mess of the pile, and don't be awkward/block people in etc.

I have had all my wood for 5 years from one guy I collect from. I've tried putting cash in his hands and offering beer/wine/chocolate but he won't accept.... He sees me as doing him a favour.  This year I've not used him for more than 1 or 2 car loads.  The rest (a lot) came from two other guys that I spotted working closely in lockdown 1, many of the normal tip sites weren't with so they jumped when I said I'd take it all, and by being good to them I got more and more.  When my neighbour wanted 2 oaks down guess who's numbers I gave him...I made sure to let him know how he got the job and I told him, 'just leave all the wood next door, I'll take a fence panel down and shift it myself'....4m3 of oak that I'm currently splitting and stacking.

Yes you can get arb waste for free, but ask nicely and be helpful..... And be prepared to not get any for years and then get loads!

You ever walked into a pub and asked for a free pint?
  • Like 1