Log Splitter / Sledgehammer

Witterings

Looking at buying a log splitter and sledgehammer and having looked at a few reviews found this

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Rolson 10780 Wood Grenade Log Splitter. Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

And for a sledgehammer this

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop Amtech A2150 2.7Kg Sledge Hammer with Fibreglass Shaft (6lb). Free delivery on eligible orders of £20 or more.

The sledgehammer's quite light weight compared to a few others which makes it easier to lift / swing ..... the flipside you think the heavier the hammer the less effort to split the log but all my "trunks" will be cut to about 9/10" length and only about 14/16" diameter max  ... my shoulders aren't great ... is that a heavy enough driver to split a log or should I look at the next weight up most of which seem to be 7lb / 3,2kg.

Any help and input on this / other splitters that may be better appreciated! 

I tried that log bomb in some beech rounds that I had sitting for about a year. Was rock solid and the Bomb just bounced out time and time again. 

Id be looking at getting a Splitting Maul over a set up like this. Fiskars X series, ie X25 or if you're tall the X27. Really can cleave its way through most rounds. 

If you have a constant supply of logs needing done then maybe consider a Petrol Log Splitter? 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

I tried that log bomb in some beech rounds that I had sitting for about a year. Was rock solid and the Bomb just bounced out time and time again. 

Id be looking at getting a Splitting Maul over a set up like this. Fiskars X series, ie X25 or if you're tall the X27. Really can cleave its way through most rounds. 

If you have a constant supply of logs needing done then maybe consider a Petrol Log Splitter? 

Even if it's one of those electric splitters it's got to me easier/quicker than an axe?

Young lad down the way does his own firewood and puts nets of logs out front with one ok.

As said, fiskars splitting axe is very good and I generally hate wedges, much prefer an axe.  That said wedges have their place and if you prefer them, fine.  They are slow to use, but much less exhausting to split large large rounds with IF you do it right.

A 6lb sledge is still big, a lot bigger than the x27 axe for example.  Consider smaller, wedges work buy summing up a number of smaller blows, that's the big advantage over an axe.

Don't get a grenade, useless. A straight wedge out a twist wedge is much better.  You need at least 3, one will just get buried and stuck, the second gets stuck trying to free the first, finally the 3rd frees the other 2.  They need a thin profile to start or you'll not get them going.  The roughneck twist wedges aren't bad. Gransfors and I think husqvarna do some nice tapering ones.   I hate them all though and noodle what I can't axe or maul.  If you are near SE19 I'd give you my grenade for free and my other wedges for a couple of quid each.  From your name though..,. Shame I didn't see this 2 weeks ago, be as I holidayed in West wittering at half term.

Basically..... Wedges are well suited to straight grained rounds that split easily but that are too big to axe split...2'6" ish upwards.  Are you in wood like that?  If I get that then a still use the axe and use the flake technique.

10" long and 16" across.... Easy splitting, and a nice size to easily handle.  X25 or x27, husqvarna s2800 or such like, all day long.  If the wood is straight grained ash or oak I'd go lighter still.  A 2 1/2 to 3lb axe head on a 28" handle will be easier to swing and still split that with ease.  If it's knotty Leyland cypress....x27.  TAKE CARE with shorter axes, longer is safer for a novice.

Edited by neiln
  • Like 3

Just to add, if you don't fancy a plastic handled axe once you've looked (although they are very well designed for the task, and almost unbreakable.... Definitely a good thing for a novice axeman), then I have a traditional axe or two I'd sell.  I tidied up a few heads and rehung them as little lockdown and summer projects.  There are photos on here somewhere....errr.... In the members only bit I think.  I sold one to a member back in the summer but still have a military issue Gilpin 6lb head on a straight 36" handle.  That's big.  Being big it's a lot of oomph, more than my x27.  However it is also a felling profile so if it doesn't split it sticks deep in the wood.... Or if the wood splits easy it sticks deep in the chopping block!   Probably not the best splitting axe tbh, but I'd sell it for what the head, handle and wedge cost me (I'd have to check, probably about £40-45).  I'd have to see what else I finished but I think there's a 4.5lb Swedish head on a 28 or 30" handle.

• Like 1

Electric hydraulic splitters work ok but honestly, an axe is quicker and a quarter the price.

I've done 12-15m3 this year, all with axes.  When I get too old I'll get an electric kinetic splitter.

Although come to think of it... With my fleet of axes and mauls I could have bought a splitter twice over! ?

Edited by neiln

Cheers for all the cmments and glad I asked rather than just buying one.

I do have a standard long handle axe I also have an old fashioned maul like the one in this link

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Found on Google from highlandwoodworking.com

In some of the longer round the axe goes in and just gets stuck and just end up fighting to get it released the maul doen't seem to do much better and almost seems to bounce off.

Would something like the Fiskars be any  better than the old fashioned one I have???

After watching a video, some of the bigger logs I put the axe at the edge of teh log and use a club hammer which has been pretty effective but is very time consuming so was really hoping to improve on that.

Just now, Witterings said:

Cheers for all the cmments and glad I asked rather than just buying one.

I do have a standard long handle axe I also have an old fashioned maul like the one in this link

WWW.GOOGLE.COM

Found on Google from highlandwoodworking.com

In some of the longer round the axe goes in and just gets stuck and just end up fighting to get it released the maul doen't seem to do much better and almost seems to bounce off.

Would something like the Fiskars be any  better than the old fashioned one I have???

After watching a video, some of the bigger logs I put the axe at the edge of teh log and use a club hammer which has been pretty effective but is very time consuming so was really hoping to improve on that.

Whilst the Fiskars are good its not as good as they hype makes out. I have the X27 and think its good, but not great. The head starts quite narrow to get good penetration then splays right out to split the log. But if you're not making much head-way with the the Maul you have I think you're gonna see a slight improvement with the Fiskars but not enough to make you think it was a good buy. 

How much logs do you have to get through and is it a constant supply? If your shoulders are not great then maybe its time to consider either a Petrol or as Eggs mentioned an Electric splitter. 

• Like 3